Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm having new wheels built for my new road frame. new to most of the tech info
They will be Mavic Open Pro Rims with Campy Chorus or Record Hubs?
I'm wondering about the spoke count? 32 or 28
I'm 5'2, 135 lbs... mostly riding 30-60mile fast rides with a mixed group of competitive club friends. Roads are often hilly here in the Northwest.
any advice advantages disadvantages to one over the other

Thanks

·
wheelbuilder
2,220 Posts
riogato said:
I'm having new wheels built for my new road frame. new to most of the tech info
They will be Mavic Open Pro Rims with Campy Chorus Hubs.
I'm wondering about the spoke count? 32 or 28
I'm 5'2, 135 lbs... mostly riding 30-60mile fast rides with a mixed group of competitive club friends. Roads are often hilly here in the Northwest.
any advice advantages disadvantages to one over the other

Thanks
Chorus = 32 or 36. Your parts choice decided for you.

-Eric

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
oops, I also forgot to mention that I was looking at either Chorus or Record Hubs,
the Record is in 28 or 32,
and yes the Chorus only 32
Thanks

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Go with Record. (Grease ports, Ti pawls, and only another $30 or so.) And 28h. At 135 lbs, you'll be fine with 28 spokes...you could probably alternate holes for a 14 hole wheel! (OK, just kidding.) I pretty much won't ride or build wheels with anything but Record hubs. I'm getting to be a little OCD about it...

I'd go with WS 14/15 (actually about 14/16 - and much lighter than DT 14/15) over DT Revos or WS XL, but that's just because I prefer a thicker spoke for easier building. Maybe consider one of the skinny aero spokes like WS AE15, but I don't really see the point. Good luck!

·
wheelbuilder
2,220 Posts
riogato said:
oops, I also forgot to mention that I was looking at either Chorus or Record Hubs,
the Record is in 28 or 32,
and yes the Chorus only 32
Thanks

With that in mind, I would suggest 28/32, 2 cross front and 3 cross rear. Use 2.0/1.5/2.0mm spokes on the drive side and DB 14 spokes (2.0/1.7/2.0mm) on the drive. The front wheel can be all 2.0/1.5/2.0mm spokes. Brass nipples are recommended.

I have a set of the above except 32 3 cross front (All Chorus) and they are a real nice set of wheels. I think my friend might take them off my hands before I get any tires on them for myself.

-Eric

1 - 5 of 5 Posts