Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any links to help a person decide the appropriate number of spokes for a build?

Sure it has to do with weight, riding style, rim selection, and perhaps some other stuff.

I am just wanting to find some concise recommendations for my needs.

If anyone wants to make a recommendation for me here is some rider data (I am the rider BTW).

6'3" tall rider
175 pounds
Use is mainly training, lots of club sprints, rider generates threshold wattage of 280 to 300, and can peak (5 second) at about 1200. (basically a strong club rider who is done racing)
Rim selected is a Niobium 30mm deep rim.
DT Aerolite spokes

Rider preference is strength, aero, weight (that order).

I welcome your suggestions, but I am really after some links to published information.

Thanks

·
Registered
302 Posts
Don't know about 'links' ...

...but I build wheels for myself an others. Without going into your choice of rim and spokes (why aerolites? I'd choose 14/15 dt comps instead - cheaper and will give you a more robust wheel with minimum weight penalty.
You say strength is a priority, so keep it simple and go for 32 spokes, laced cross three. They'll be easy to maintain and if built well they'll be bomb-proof.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.