Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Journeyman Wheelsmith
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm using a BHS SL211 rear hub for the first time. A local wheelsmith taught me a very simple but effective technique for lacing "simple" cross patterns (3x, 2x, etc). All of the DS spokes "heads in" go in first, then DS spokes "heads out". Works like a charm and I've done it on several wheelsets where the rear hub has DS/NDS flanges of the same height.

However, on a flange like the BHS211 where the DS flange is 10mm taller, doing the NDS spokes last makes getting them in much harder. In particular, I had to be pretty cruel to the last set (NDS "heads in") to get them into the hub.

Any tips from the veterans?

Thanks,
Bob

·
Hucken The Fard Up !
3,983 Posts
I do both sides heads out first, then I lace the heads in, also both sides. It's much easier this way

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
This is the best order:

1) Heads out small flange
2) Heads out large flange
3) Heads in small flange
4) Heads in large flange

Often it's fine to do both sides on the small flange first though...

·
Registered
734 Posts
This is the best order:

1) Heads out small flange
2) Heads out large flange
3) Heads in small flange
4) Heads in large flange
That's the way I do it. On hubs like White Industries T-11 with a large difference between drive side and non-drive side flanges (55mm/40.5mm for the T11) you need to do a bit of finagling to poke the nds heads in spokes through. No biggie. Spokes are wire, they bend, you'll treat them firmly when you correct the spoke lines and de-stress the build. They can take it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.