Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm building my girlfriend a set of wheels for her new Gunnar roadie, using new Ultegra 6600 hubset (32h) and DT swiss RR 1.1 rims. I put in all the dimensions on Spocalc and got a L&R length for the front of 293.6mm, and on the rear L=292.8mm R=291.1mm. So my thinking was since I can get Wheelsmith spokes in a box of 50 I could use 293mm for the front and non-drive rear and have 2 left over for spares. BUT, here's the problem, the spokes I want to use, XE14's (2.0-1.5-2.0), for the front and non-drive only come in even numbers. Sooo...292mm's or 294's, or find some 293's from another spoke manufacturer? I looked at DT Revo's and they have odd sizes but are easily double to 3x as much as I can get a box of 50 XE14's for so I'd prefer not to use them. THANKS! :cool:

·
wheelbuilder
2,220 Posts
Correct spoke length is more important than spoke choice! The rear wheel is where you will have the biggest problems. If you know someone with a Phil Wood spoke machine (some shops still have them) get the longer spokes a cut to size. You need about 1.5-2.0mm of spoke to cut so get a box of 72 or 100 296mm spokes. You could cut all the spoke for this project out of that box.

If you can't find anyone with a spoke machine, shoot me an email. If you pay the shipping, I'll do it for you.

-Eric

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Round down. Get 290's for the drive side rear and 292's for the rest. You'll be fine. Unlike one's male anatomy, with spokes it's better to be slightly short than slightly long.

Al

·
wheelbuilder
2,220 Posts
Al1943 said:
Round down. Get 290's for the drive side rear and 292's for the rest. You'll be fine. Unlike one's male anatomy, with spokes it's better to be slightly short than slightly long.

Al
No. You run the risk of the nipple heads popping off over time. You are better off with a full engagement of the threads. This is done with the correct spoke length.

-Eric

·
NeoRetroGrouch
6,491 Posts
Al1943 said:

Al
Why would you go short? I would rather go long. No downside as long as the spoke ends don't hit the tape which would be hard to do on a modern double wall rim. If it was too long and you ran out of threads, you would know it. - TF

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
TurboTurtle said:
Why would you go short?
It's because the worst that can happen is to run out of threads just before reaching the needed tension. Happens to people often, especially on the driveside rear. I just read a thread on another forum posted by a guy who rounded up on the driveside rear, ran out of threads and had to go back and buy 16 shorter spokes. A mm short isn't going to hurt a thing and it's good insurance.

Round down.

Al

1 - 6 of 6 Posts