Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Gruntled
3,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a new bike to use as a commuter. The wheels seem to be of decent quality, but I notice that the spoke tension is much lower than the handbuilts on my racing bike (there's also more of them - 32/32 on the commuter vs 24/28 on the racer).

Would they be any stronger or stay true longer if the spoke tension were higher? Would it be worthwhile to take them to my LBS, or a good wheelbuilder, and have them tightened up?

· Registered
4,105 Posts
If the spoke tension is *even* they might be ok, but most likely they were not stress relieved, nor the spoke line corrected either. It would be a good idea to "tune" them... and if you have the time and inclination you can learn to do this yourself.

EDIT: About tension... in most wheels these days the tension limit is depedent on what the rims can take without the eyelets developing cracks. Often guesswork and experience determines this. All else being equal, higher tension will take a greater load before the spokes go slack... which leads to unwinding and fatigue. So high tension is generally good... but high enough is high enough... and if it is too high usually the first thing to go is the rim eyelets.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.