Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Converted Marathon Runner
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Building up a set of wheels, using the IRD Cadence rims (VSR in the rear). These are of course superlight, 390 grams a piece or so.

I'm wondering about spoke tension for them. I'm going 28h f/r, radial front and non-drive, and 3x drive. DT Revo spokes all around, except on the drive, I'm going with 14/15 spokes rather than the 14/17. Aluminum nips all around.

IRD says 80kg for all of the radial spokes, with slightly higher for the drive side (of course). I'm just looking for a 2nd opinion (or 3rd, or 4th....).

Thanks all,

· Registered
1,085 Posts
10kman said:
IRD says 80kg for all of the radial spokes, with slightly higher for the drive side (of course). I'm just looking for a 2nd opinion (or 3rd, or 4th....).
Whoa. I went WAY higher than that on some Ti drive side spokes - 20 of them, 2 cross all around, front and rear. So far, everything is just fine...

· Converted Marathon Runner
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
According to.....

I called Mike at oddsandendos.com, and they said 100kg tension, or "same as we build up any other rim." I'm 150 pounds, not sure if that matters, but they said that IRD is "conservative" in their tension specs, due to heavy riders using the rims and then, cracking them.

I'll bring them up slowly to around 100, checking for distortions after 80. They seem well-built to me, and are very light.

· Registered
4,105 Posts
10kman said:
but they said that IRD is "conservative" in their tension specs, due to heavy riders using the rims and then, cracking them.
So a heavy rider needs less tension? I don't think so. The primary stress mode is for spokes to *lose* tension where the rim meets the ground... so heavy riders should need higher tension. There is relatively little tension increase in use.

If the eyelets are cracking, then IRD is correct in specing a lower tension. Your primary concern is making sure that the spokes don't go slack. Since you are using Revs, you shouldn't have a problem with 80Kg.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.