Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay builders, I weigh 195# +/- and have a rear Powertap hub laced with 32 spokes into a CXP22 rim w/ 3x pattern. As I am tuning up the wheel, what tension should I be looking for for drive side and non drive side? (I will be checking with a Park Tool tension meter, which I know is dubious, but at least I should be able to get the tension consistent around the wheel)

TIA

·
A wheelist
11,324 Posts
The non drive side tension will be what it has to be to allow the correct dish. Try plucking spokes for relative tensions.

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,564 Posts
using the chart that came w/ your tension meter, look for 100kg w/ whatever gauge/type spokes you're using. don't worry about the non-drive side, as the previous poster said...it will be what it will be. get 100kg on the drive side and keep everything even and you'll be good.

·
Registered
891 Posts
I would guess 110-120 KGF on the drive side, but maybe Mavic has their own recommendations. Make sure the spokes are going in as straight of a line as possible. 3x with a PowerTap makes it easy for the spokes to have a bend at the nipple.

I just checked, and Mavic recommends 70-90KGF on the rear drive-side. That is much lower that what most rims can handle, but that is what they say.

"Respect the appropriate spoke tensions; Mavic recommends spoke tensions between 70 and 90 kg (for a front or rear wheel on the free wheel side with a
crossed 3 pattern). Inappropriate spoke tension can generate too much stress and damage the rim;"

1 - 4 of 4 Posts