Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I thinking of purchasing a Tension Meter for general wheel truing. Since I never used one,my question is this practical idea?

·
Registered
550 Posts
not totally necessary

7260 said:
I thinking of purchasing a Tension Meter for general wheel truing. Since I never used one,my question is this practical idea?
A lot of people have built and trued perfectly good wheels for a very long time without spoke tensiometers. If you have the money to spend, and if you've already invested a good book on the subject of wheelbuilding, then a tensiometer isn't a bad next purchase.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
I think that it depends.

For day-to-day trueing I don't think that it helps very much, particularly if you are careful to tighten and loosen opposing pairs of spokes an equal amount.

Where it comes in handy is if you are working on a "problem wheel" that has had several different guys messing with it and, consequently, has the spoke tensions all fubared up. In that case, it is a big help in returning the wheel to the "default" mode so that you can start fresh with the trueing process.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I don't think I would buy one for general truing. We almost never use them for regular wheel trues at the shop unless they are really messed up. The one time they become really nice is during wheel builds.

·
Chili hed & old bike fixr
1,126 Posts
7260 said:
If you are only going to use one infrequently, the Park model would be more than adequate. It would be a very good teaching device and you might find that the wheelbuilders whose wheels you are riding are actually pretty good craftsmen, or maybe not. Having one and learning to use it properly certainly won't make you a worse mechanic than you are. I have 2 different models and use them frequently.

·
lyleseven
490 Posts
They are useful..

especially on new builds and wheels that are really out of true. I have the Park tool version and it is very handy and I use it from time to time to make sure my spoke tension is relatively equal. Some people say they can tell when a spoke is up to tension, but they are usually going to double check it with a tension meter to make sure if they are cautious builders or repair techs...

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Tension Meter

The Park Tool tension meter is inexpensive and a very good investment. It's easy to true a wheel and still not have enough tension.
~Al

·
Registered
9,079 Posts
can't hurt

7260 said:
While not essential, it can't hurt. To me, the more feedback, the better; objective feedback is probably better to the untrained mechanic than something like plucking for tone. Use the tool enough, and you'll probably develop a good feel for tension, much like we do by filling our tires with air, noting the pressure guage reading and checking the tire firmness with our thumb. After a while, the guage is still better, but you develop a pretty good feel.

If you have the $50, sure can't hurt. The Park works fine for me.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts