Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Evening, guys!
I would like to build a light wheelset for my commuter
I weight ~75kg, now using 36/36 2.5 kg wheelset (weight without clinchers) and I would like to try some Kinlins for a change.
Now the roads are rough and I'm concerned how the new wheels will handle it.
I was thinking kinlin xr200 (375 gramms) or xr-19w (405 gramms) 32/32 on probably 105 hubs
or
kinlin xr300 (465 gramms) 20/24 with novatec hubs (which weight ~390 gramms per pair)
Which combination would be better for a rough ride? Is 20/24 sufficient?

·
Registered
7,492 Posts

·
Registered
5,705 Posts
Have you thought about 24F/28R? That's what I use and i weight more than you do. Years ago, 32/32 was the standard. Wheels have changed a lot -- less spokes with a lot more tension. I do recall truing my 32/32 wheels a lot more than I do the wheels I have these days (like not at all).

Isn't the Kinlin 200 a light weight rim? I have a set of wheels built on Kinlin 270 (now 300?) that have held up well. If you're going from a 2500 gram wheel set, don't skimp on the rim.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Unless your commute includes keeping up with with Mark Cavendish, I say more spokes are better. They stay true and can handle rough roads a lot better. But, if you want them just to glam up your ride a bit, go for it. Riding is supposed to be fun. With the money you save on gasoline you can afford some bling.:)

·
A wheelist
11,324 Posts
Evening, guys!
I would like to build a light wheelset for my commuter
I weight ~75kg, now using 36/36 2.5 kg wheelset (weight without clinchers) and I would like to try some Kinlins for a change.
Now the roads are rough and I'm concerned how the new wheels will handle it.
I was thinking kinlin xr200 (375 gramms) or xr-19w (405 gramms) 32/32 on probably 105 hubs
or
kinlin xr300 (465 gramms) 20/24 with novatec hubs (which weight ~390 gramms per pair)
Which combination would be better for a rough ride? Is 20/24 sufficient?
It's hard to tell whether you're being serious or not. You want commuter wheels for rough roads and you're asking if 20/24 is sufficient? :eek: And 400g rims? (yeah I saw you mentioned 32/32 for them). Are we on Candid Camera? :blush2:

With commuter wheels, the main criteria should be "are these wheels going to get me to work or not?" What earthly benefit could "getting away with" 20/24 spokes or 400g rims provide? Outside of the nervous apprehension rush of whether you're going to make it to work or not (day after day).

I'm sure you are smart enough to figure out what parts you need for real commuter wheels without anyone's help.

And what cx said too.

·
Registered
21,637 Posts
It's hard to tell whether you're being serious or not. You want commuter wheels for rough roads and you're asking if 20/24 is sufficient? :eek: And 400g rims? (yeah I saw you mentioned 32/32 for them). Are we on Candid Camera? :blush2:

With commuter wheels, the main criteria should be "are these wheels going to get me to work or not?" What earthly benefit could "getting away with" 20/24 spokes or 400g rims provide? Outside of the nervous apprehension rush of whether you're going to make it to work or not (day after day).

I'm sure you are smart enough to figure out what parts you need for real commuter wheels without anyone's help.

And what cx said too.
What he said.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks, guys, You have cheered me up!
I tried to quote everyone and write an answer but the stupid forum system erased my whole message
That thing that You said, the one about that wheels should bring me to work.. now You are talking about tyres, not the wheels. Who said one can't get to the place he needs with a wheel being untrue?
guys, I already have two eternal wheels, and now I'm in a position where I can with a quick simple motion throw away one kilogramm off my bicycle, it's not bad at all, right?
Plus 36/36 looks stupid anyway, it's not like it's a trekking bicycle or anything

Bicycle tire Bicycle frame Tire Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle wheel

·
A wheelist
11,324 Posts
That thing that You said, the one about that wheels should bring me to work.. now You are talking about tyres, not the wheels. Who said one can't get to the place he needs with a wheel being untrue?
OMG. Do you really know what happens when you break a spoke in a 24 rear wheel? Depending how much influence that spoke has on the wheel (and it's lots) the wheel probably won't rotate in the frame. Then you can't even push the bike to work. You carry it - or phone for a ride. I've broken a spoke in a 32h wheel in years past and didn't know until I next cleaned the bike.

I'm in a position where I can with a quick simple motion throw away one kilogramm off my bicycle, it's not bad at all, right?
Oh yeah that wheelset will get you to work 30 seconds faster - if you never let up on the power all the way, every day. Get stuck in traffic and any potential gain evaporates and the guy with the 2" commuter tires passes you on the gravel shoulder.

Plus 36/36 looks stupid anyway
More or less stupid than shouldering the bike to finish the commute?

·
Registered
7,492 Posts
Like ASFOS, our OP indicates he is in England. Basildon by any chance? More details about your commute will help us to answer.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Like ASFOS, our OP indicates he is in England. Basildon by any chance? More details about your commute will help us to answer.
Well, it's all asphalt with one long uphill on the way to work, 15km one way
Some occasional pothole but I know them all. It's when I change the route I'm in trouble with the headset rattling and the handlebar rotating down
It's Ukraine, Zaporizhia (probably won't tell You anything:))

[URL="http://forums.roadbikereview.com/member.php?u=235826" said:
Mike T.[/URL]]Do you really know what happens when you break a spoke in a 24 rear wheel?
So what are You saying, should I go 32 rear 28 front or 28/24 (probably 28/28 since I like potholes so much) would be sufficient?

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,415 Posts
What Mike T. said.

If you really want to drop some weight, lose some off the engine. :D Seriously, you can build up a pair of 32 hole 3-cross HED Belgium C2s, Shimano Ultegra 6800 hubs, DT Competition Spokes, brass nipples and you will get a robust wheelset that weighs in at around 1850g. That is 650g less than what you have now. Anything lighter is splitting hairs.

If you want to go less than 32 spokes, carry a spoke wrench. If you insist on going less than 24 spokes, be prepared to call for a ride or carry your bike the rest of the way.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,415 Posts
So what are You saying, should I go 32 rear 28 front or 28/24 (probably 28/28 since I like potholes so much) would be sufficient?
Fewer spokes don't save you much weight. And any aero advantage of fewer spokes won't be felt unless you consistently ride above 20mph (30kph).

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm not trolling anyone, I'm just new to all this. Before I was riding a 13kg mountain bike with the same wheelset I have now
Plus to all that almost every wheelset that is there on the market being it Fulcrum or Campy seems to carry 20/24 spokes on it

·
is riding in MOPP4
695 Posts
I'm 63kg and used a 20/24 wheel set. Commute is about 18 miles one way on a mix-use trail and roads. Panniers added another 9kg to the bike. While I never broke a spoke, within 6 months I developed a rear rim hop and some stress fractures around the eyelets. I switched to 32/32 (albeit on sturdier rims) and have not had any issues since.

You need 2 sets of wheels. You want 20/24 go-fast wheels, then get them and use them appropriately. But like the others have said, commuter wheels are meant to be durable above all else.

·
is riding in MOPP4
695 Posts
Any rim can develop stress fractures, but OP rims are meh. I think the older OP rims have a better reputation than the new ones. I'm using H Plus Son TB14 rims on my commuter and single speed with excellent results.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts