Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am building up a 32H Mavic MA3 rim on a front Deore XT M765 Centerlock hub (laced 3X), for use as a light trail duty wheel. My 'cross bike is used as my winter road bike and some fire road/singletrack use. No cyclocross racing per se.

At a rider weight of 125 lb, what are the lightest spokes I can get away with? The rim and hub are picked out (as are brass nips), so I wouldn't mind saving a few grams on the spokes.

The wheel is replacing a 32H MA3 built with DT Comp, which has required almost no truing save for a few crashes while trail riding.

I could go DT Comp again, Wheelsmith DB14 for a slight weight savings, or even Sapim Laser. However, Sapim does not recommend Laser for disc wheels.

Any input or advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
A wheelist
11,324 Posts
You can "get away with" Lasers, Revs and CX-Rays, that are, of course, all about the same weight and gauge (seeing as CX-Rays are forged from lasers). If you think those spokes are too thin then I'd suggest you go over to sister site Mountain Bike Review and look up poster Meltingfeather. He's a structural engineer and he's built many mountain bike wheels and 29'er wheels (same as 700c) for offroad use using DT Revs and he has yet to have an issue with those spokes. If people take him to task about the use of those spokes in offroad disc brake wheels he will, quite eloquently and thoroughly, tell them why they are wrong.

And here's the kicker - I think he's over 200lbs too. You're a whisp compared to him.

·
wheelbuilder
2,220 Posts
Lasers, no problem. You could even go exotic and use Pillar titanium spokes. They are about 1g per spoke lighter than the Lasers!

I don't normally recommend them, but at your weight with your riding intentions, I'd say go for it.

Alloy nipples require only a minimal amount of attention. Just use grease where it touches the rim and anti seize-compound for the threads (you should do this for brass as well). Put a drop of oil on them once in a while and you can save another 30g or so.

-Eric

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the advice folks. I will go Lasers (or DT Revs) on this wheel. Also alloy nips (thanks for the push ergott), might as well push my wheelbuilding envelope.

I'm starting to rethink this build as less of a tank wheel.

Will I lose much strength going to a lighter Open Pro for this application?

·
A wheelist
11,324 Posts
sanrensho said:
Does anyone know why Sapim does not recommend Lasers for disc wheels?
Because they're conservative maybe? CX-Rays are forged flat from their Lasers and I've used nothing but CX-Rays on my disc brake mtb wheels for a decade with zero issues.

·
Iohannes fac totum
3,151 Posts
Mike T. said:
Because they're conservative maybe? CX-Rays are forged flat from their Lasers and I've used nothing but CX-Rays on my disc brake mtb wheels for a decade with zero issues.
x2.......except I don't have a decade under my belt:D I'm really liking the CX rays on my MTB. So easy to build with them.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
sanrensho said:
Will I lose much strength going to a lighter Open Pro for this application?
Sorry to bump this thread, but any thoughts about using Open Pros (because they are widely available) for this application?

Am I being overly conservative by sticking with the heavy MA3s?

·
A wheelist
11,324 Posts
sanrensho said:
Sorry to bump this thread, but any thoughts about using Open Pros (because they are widely available) for this application?
Am I being overly conservative by sticking with the heavy MA3s?
Ergott's right, Oh Pees will be just fine. I use them on my dirt road/trail bike.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Sanrensho,

This is a very old thread, but I thought I would bring it back to life and see what wheel you ended up going with.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sanrensho,

This is a very old thread, but I thought I would bring it back to life and see what wheel you ended up going with.
My riding needs have changed, and the build has morphed into a 28H disc road wheel with a Velocity A23 on Circus Monkey disc hub, using Sapim Lasers and alloy nipples.

I rebuilt an American Classic 420 rear wheel (24H) with Laser spokes on both sides and have experienced zero problems or flex, so the Lasers should be no problem for the above build.

Cheers.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts