Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I am looking for some advice on set-up of Spooky brakes. I don’t have a ton of experience with Cantis so I am sure I am missing something simple. My last cross bike had Avid 4’s, that I would release the straddle wire to remove a wheel. When I have the Spookys set-up to have the brake pads close to the rim, I can’t release the straddle wire to remove the wheel. What am I doing wrong, or not understanding? Also, should the straddle hanger be set-up as high as possible?

Thanks

·
Old, slow, and fat.
3,897 Posts
Spookies are just Mafac knockoffs, right?

If so, you want the straddle wire to be ~1/2 to 1" above the fork crown and/or roughly a 90deg angle.

My best bit o' advice re: setting up brakes for racing/off-roading is to have the levers at 'full grab panic mode' just grazing the knuckles of your hands. That gives you room to grab the levers before you need em and still not have contact between pad and rim.

HTH

M

·
Not Banned
49,249 Posts
what he said

high straddle 90 degrees. if ya need to adjust the angle (toe in) a pair of needle nose and a good set of pliers is all ya need.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.