Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
vegan wrench
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the replies. so to be honest, i'm still not quite sure whether to get pauls or spookys. the pauls look easier in the pad adjustment but i'm not afraid of smooth post pads either, i'm using old school xt-IIs right now. my main question is how does the spring tension adjustment work on the spookys? do they even have any?

·
Registered
813 Posts
you would adjust spring pad tension by what hole you put the spring into (most bikes have three little holes next to the stud). Depending on the hole, that dictates spring tension.

If you were going to pay near the same amount for the Pauls and the Spooky's, I'd buy the Pauls---if for no other reason than they have a very high resale value. I prefer V style pads to the smooth post style pads. (easier to dial in toe in--------no ViceGrips needed).

jb

·
vegan wrench
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
xjoex said:
Does anyone know what happened to spooky cycles? The CT based mtn bike company? Frank The Welder was doing the frames?

Thanks,
-Joe
they closed their doors in 2000. they were doing contract work for bmx companies towards the end as far as i know. frank the welder is now welding for sinister bikes but they're not making any cx stuff though.

·
vegan wrench
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
bloodthirstylust said:
thanks peeps. i would want more spring tension adjustment than just spring hole plus pad adjustment. so pauls it is.
just as an update for anyone reading this thread in the future. i went with the pauls and have been using them for a couple of weeks now. i've gotta say i'm very impressed. i figured the setup would be easier than the XT IIs they replaced (and it was super easy) but i am very pleased with the feel and performance of them too. they feel super positive, way less squishy than the xtIIs but not too grabby either. no squeal or chatter either. A+

·
Registered
165 Posts
bloodthirstylust said:
just as an update for anyone reading this thread in the future. i went with the pauls and have been using them for a couple of weeks now. i've gotta say i'm very impressed. i figured the setup would be easier than the XT IIs they replaced (and it was super easy) but i am very pleased with the feel and performance of them too. they feel super positive, way less squishy than the xtIIs but not too grabby either. no squeal or chatter either. A+
which fork are you using?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.