Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought Sportlegs supplement. Seems like it can't hurt. Plan on using them for better recovery. Has anyone used them, and can they be used with other meds?

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,426 Posts
I tried it for a few months a couple years ago. At first, it seemed to help, but after a few months, I decided that it was all in my head.
End of Story

·
Registered
21,637 Posts
Not hurting

TS2213 said:
Just bought Sportlegs supplement. Seems like it can't hurt. Plan on using them for better recovery. Has anyone used them, and can they be used with other meds?
The only thing it will hurt is your wallet. Really just high priced nutrient substitute, compared to what you can easily get in a reasonable diet. In that sense, they're just like other supplements :)

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the response,I figured that I might be waisting my money, I thought I would 'give it a shot" My legs have been unusally sore after my rides lately, and I haven't been able to train like I would like. Someone told me I should drink 'milk of magneseum' for same effect. Anyone try that??

·
Registered
481 Posts
I did a bunch of TTs and cross races last year. Took sportlegs in about half of them. It had no noticeable effect. I had some good days and some bad days - no pattern.

Some friends who are prone to cramping do take them and swear they help. Cramping has never been a problem for me so can't say if they help for this.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I've had mixed results with the stuff. A couple of times on my road bike, I'ts been literally hit or miss. I also race motocross, and a couple of times when practicing I've used Sport Legs, and did notice a lot less cramping, and soreness in my forearms.

On a side note, I've been taking ZMA to help me sleep, and notince that the soreness in my legs is gone in the morning. I'm gonna just keep telling myself that the ZMA works, 'cause I sleep a lot better when I'm using it.

·
Registered
6,018 Posts
no noticeable effect

TS2213 said:
Tried it on a few long training rides and then a century. If there was an effect it was not significant. I decided it was not worth my money

·
Registered
198 Posts
Have not noticed a difference performance wise. But they do seem to help with cramping. If you dont have problems with cramping dont waste your money.

·
Registered
99 Posts
TS2213 said:
Thanks for the response,I figured that I might be waisting my money, I thought I would 'give it a shot" My legs have been unusally sore after my rides lately, and I haven't been able to train like I would like. Someone told me I should drink 'milk of magneseum' for same effect. Anyone try that??
Who was this person and what did you do to them?! Milk of magnesia is a laxative. :eek6:

Seriously, though, my mom takes magnesium before bed. She says it's the only thing that stops her restless legs syndrome.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Good hydration and an extra hour of sleep the night before an event will beat the effect of sportylegs or whatever....

·
Bike Addict
268 Posts
kevhogaz said:
On a side note, I've been taking ZMA to help me sleep, and notince that the soreness in my legs is gone in the morning. I'm gonna just keep telling myself that the ZMA works, 'cause I sleep a lot better when I'm using it.
What us ZMA????
Sportlegs has helped me with cramping issues for years.

·
Registered
896 Posts
i've been using SL for 3 years. I love the stuff. yes, for the most part they are a "nutrient substitute", but is there a problem with that? if you would prefer, you could probably manage the equivalent through whole foods, but you cant beat the convenience of a couple of little pills

·
Registered
348 Posts
I brought a bottle and have used it once. I've always had problems with the burn as I push to big of a gear. Anyway, my first trial was a disaster. Indoor training session and my legs felt worse than ever. It was almost as if it accelerated the burn.

·
No Crybabies
11,684 Posts
hard to isolate causes

TS2213 said:
I tried them for time trials, and found I did well -- HOWEVER, I realized that for these particular days I was also treating them as important rides, which involved proper tapering, diet, and motivation. So, regardless of the SL, I should have felt strong.

I had bad days with them, as well, which I can easily attribute to other causes, like not being rested or a change in training emphasis. I don't know how you can distinguish what's what. If they made you throw up, I suppose that would help to tell, or if you have a series of 25.0 mph time trials, and all the sudden you have a 26.0 using them, and back to 25.0 without them, that might be something, but you'd need a lot of trials to tell much. Bottom line, though, I don't think they can hurt.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts