Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
eliminating muscle soreness during and after rides, more endurance,etc ..how much truth is there to that? any nutritionists out there who have some scientific data on this? if their claims are true then we should all quit drinking water on our rides and drink their sports drinks...

·
Administrator
13,147 Posts
Ultragen has worked well for me, but you don't drink it during the ride- but afterwards. Plenty of on the bike stuff that works well, all depends on what you will drink and your stomach will tolerate.

If you had lots of spare time, you could probably make your own versions of these products. I would rather be riding, so I let first endurance do it for me.

Why not just get a jug and try it and see if it works for you- that is the only real test when all is said and done IMHO.

·
Diphthong
4,989 Posts
There is a 30 minute window after a ride where the body readily accepts carbs to restore depleted levels of glycogen. If you can refresh that depletion quickly, with say a sports drink, then you are ready to ride that much sooner thus speeding up recovery.

As for the claim of increased endurance during a ride, this too makes sense. The carbs and sugars in the sports drink will replace the glycogen that has been used up thus allowing you to ride longer at a higher intensity.

For rides less than an hour, water will do just fine. For rides longer than an hour, you should consume 6-8 oz of a sports drink every 20minutes. On longer rides, I will take a Camelbak of water and supplement with a sports drink. On hot days, consuming a sports drink is even more important to replace the electrolytes lost in your sweat.

·
Registered
21,832 Posts
Claims and reality

oldbikes said:
eliminating muscle soreness during and after rides, more endurance,etc ..how much truth is there to that? any nutritionists out there who have some scientific data on this? if their claims are true then we should all quit drinking water on our rides and drink their sports drinks...
Sports drinks are certainly better than water for fuel, since water has no fuel value. They are not better than food, though they may be more convenient. As noted by Bulldozer, for rides longer than 90 minutes or so, you do need a source of fuel, whether it be cookies, fig bars, a sports drink, gel, energy bar, or 3 Musketeers.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I was a spin instructor for a couple 'o years so I got to do a organized training session on a regular basis and I can assure anyone that Cytomax does indeed "beat the burn." With Cyto, one is able to push harder & longer before blowing up than vs. H20 or gatorade. I don't work for cytosport, the stuff just works. I've also experienced the benefit of Cytomax when lifting to failure (something that I do quite often) and when rock climbing & boudering where you deal w/ fatigued (and lactic acid loaded) forearm muscles.

How much it helps recover I'm not sure - I'm sure better than nothing. With resistance training, it's important to get protein w/in 30 min post lifting to aid in recovery, and I'm in the camp that a carbo/protein blend w/in that timeframe helps (vs just H20)

·
Registered
21,832 Posts
Meaningfulness

bill said:
there is also the claim that designed drinks absorb faster than solid food or plain water. When you read the claims, they seem to make sense, but . . . I'm not sure.
Liquids will nearly always absorb faster than solid foods, obviously dependent on how well the solid food is chewed. However, unless you are nearly bonked and need a fast rush, the rate of absorption doesn't mean much. You can absorb around 300 calories per hour, whether you are eating solids or liquids. Note that the pros eat lots of solid foods while racing, along with gels and drinks. Solid food does work.

·
Registered
54 Posts
The Carlster said:
With resistance training, it's important to get protein w/in 30 min post lifting to aid in recovery, and I'm in the camp that a carbo/protein blend w/in that timeframe helps (vs just H20)
I take a blend of BCAA+G and mix it with water during and up to 30 minutes after a training ride if I'm worrying about muscle soreness. It has helped me, YMMV.

www.pureprotien.com will make you a custom blend of BCAA and EAA's. Once you read up on Branched Chain Amino Acids and Essential Amino Acids, you can have these guys whip you up a batch of custom powder that you can use as a sports drink.

Most important to muscle recovery after a workout; protien. You want some carbs to give you a insulen (sp?) spike (helps the muscles metabolize the protien). Many folks just take a protien powder and mix it with water in a shaker bottle. Most powders will include some carbs in them. Real food would be better, however. Salmon/chicken breast with some veggies after a workout would be good.

If you are training intensively, you should try to modify your diet to eat between 1.0-1.5 grams of protien * body weight in pounds. This will give your muscles the building blocks it needs to repair damaged tissue, and help reduce muscle soreness.

It will take time to figure out when and what you should be taking, but the guidelines above, and from other posters, will give you a place to start from. Good luck. PM me with any questions!

my 2 cents.

·
Call me a Fred
17,025 Posts

·
Scary Teddy Bear
14,801 Posts
Oh please

MikeBiker said:
Sure, if you don't mind a higher risk of heart attack!
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/5037350.stm

people have been taking NSAID's for decades. This is a known risk factor of using NSAID's, but it is not generally seen until you are taking higher doses such as 800 mg TID, taking 200mg occasionally to relieve pain will probably theoretically increase your risk of heart attack about the same as eating two greasy burgers.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
54 Posts
MikeBiker said:
Sure, if you don't mind a higher risk of heart attack!
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/5037350.stm
ok, I'll quantify my statements. As long as you don't take 2400 mg. of ibuprofin a day, and suffer from chronic pain due to osteoarthritis; because I'd hate to see your risk of heart attack/stroke go up by .003% (3 of 1000)

Keep in mind my audience. We are talking about folks who are athletes (hello, roadbikereview message board?!?), vs folks who are suffering from chronic pain.

So, before taking any advice from some stranger on a message board, consult your physician...

·
Administrator
13,147 Posts
Kerry Irons said:
Sports drinks are certainly better than water for fuel, since water has no fuel value. They are not better than food, though they may be more convenient. As noted by Bulldozer, for rides longer than 90 minutes or so, you do need a source of fuel, whether it be cookies, fig bars, a sports drink, gel, energy bar, or 3 Musketeers.
I would delete cookies as they have way too much fat, same with the candy bar. Both seem inapproporate choices for proper sports nutrition IMHO. For cheap sports food I usually suggest a banana instead. Fig Neutons are a great choice, and it's pretty easy to make your our version of a clif bar at home. One of Alton Brown's shows on the food network showed how- they looked tasty.

However, if you are pressed for time or training hard there is nothing wrong with letting someone do the work for you.

Actually the biggest mistake I see now is not improperly designed gels, bars or drink mixes (the science behind most of the reputable stuff seems pretty well settled at this point), it's mistaking it's possible impact on your form. These things are designed to help with your hard training, not substitute for them.

:)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Most benefits will come from a good base of carbs and proteins (2:1 ratio) up until 30 mins after workout (and a good base before hand), regardless of duration, it is more a concern of intensity. Creatine is also an incredible tool that has gotten a bad wrap... its application is to replenish creatine phosphate levels which in turn help replenish ATP levels (noted: non carbohydrate energy). Vitamin C has been shown to, in simple terms, allow the body to burn more fat for energy (dosages of 500 mg+) and there are all sorts of other tricks you can find, bodybuilding sites have a great grasp of this sort of nutrition. But to get the most benefit out of your workout and be ready for the next one you need substanial amino acid intake. Most amino acids are helpful in some way and bodies react differently to each but the big three for recovery are Glutamine, carnitine and arginine. The benefits of glutamine are scary to say the least... although quality glutamine is rather expensive.

Also a tip to those trying to buffer lactic acid buildup... some unproven studies have shown sodium bicarbonate to buffer lactic acid buildup in muscles, although this has been shown to be effective in bouts of incredibly high intenisty, short workouts of 5-15 mins (2k erg test, continious hill sprints etc...) the sorts of workouts that make you pass out, but its fun to try; )

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Recovery drinks work for me. A doctor friend expressed amazment last season that I was training successfully without one. She suggested I try one. I did and found, for me, they do decrease sore muscles. Without going into internet psuedo-science, I'd suggest you get some and give it a go. See what YOU feel like it does for you. I am riding stronger since I started using post ride recovery drink.

I just mix up a waterbottle of Endurox when I mix my energy drinks each day and toss it into my bike bag for right after a ride or race. Pretty simple to try that, yourownself.

An aside: One brand caused me to notice increased frequency of post ride headaches. Experimenting and some reading made me suspect it could be some kinda (again, I'm keeping away from Internet psuedo-scientific explainations, hopefully) metabolic spike. I switched brands and no longer encounter these post ride headaches. If I take NO recovery drink, I have no headaches, but I do get sore muscles again.

Someone told me Velo-News or some other mag did a comparison test of recovery drinks and their effectivness vs. cost. The gossip is that choclate milk is just as effective as Endurox, et al as a recovery drink..

·
Registered
3 Posts
endurox is great, I use it as well... good carb/protein ratio. Chocolate milk is also good but it was a very high sugar content, like 45g for a 16 oz serving or something. Sugar is good in very small moderation after excerise but IMO 45g is pushing it. It should also be noted that type of protein found in milk , casein protein, is absorbed very slowly by the body (3-4hrs) so your body doesnt get all the protein it needs for true recovery as opposed to the faster absorbtion from whey or soy protein.

·
Dr. Flats a lot
742 Posts
A bit of data

There's a lot going on here but wanted to put out a few points that are backed up by data.
1) Recovery drinks YES- Generally getting something in to replete your glycogen and protein after exercise is a good idea. Lot's of ways of doing this. Great study (Karp at Univ Inidiana) showed chocolate milk beats out electrolyte solutions, water and brached glycoprotein mixes (endurox E4 in the study.) Not actually a crazy idea when you get down to the biochemistry. Whatever opinions there may be about casein the reality is chocolate milk worked better when you looked at performance the next day.
2)Ibuprofen Rarely -Use it if you need it, don't if you don't. Not so much from the platelet aspect but more from the kidney aspect. The platelet issue has more to do with it suppressing the benefit of aspirin than it being a procoagulant or affecting artherosclerosis itself. Endurance sports often put your into mild kidney failure due to dehydration and muscle breakdown. Occasionally into full blown, kidney failure. Add some ibuprofen to the mix and you could box your kidneys. If you are injured it is the one to use. I'd avoid it's use for post ride aches and pains, particularly at times you are likely to be dehydrated.
3) megadosing Vit C NO- bad idea, can give you kidney stones, GI probs and retard wound healing. Homeopaths love it but they also hate looking at or for data.
4)Electrolyte solutions YES-They are all the same. Accelerade tries to sound like they have science behind them. In reality they have internally generated data that was never published and is [email protected] Personally like cytomax as it never upsets my stomach. The data supporting sports drinks found that a 6% solution works best. No real benefit of protein solutions. Basically whatever works for you. The electrolytes don't come into significant play until later. By rehydrating yourself with straight water you can dilute the electrolytes in your blood. The most feared imbalance here is sodium (hyponatremia.) Can and has caused seizures and death, primarily in marathoners. Potassium can be a problem and medically is the electrolyte we worry about the most as it can affect heart conduction (which is why you use it to kill people on death row) but more commonly gives you muscle cramps.
5)Food- YES You need to be ingesting relatively simple carbs and sugars. They can be absorbed along with water quickly in the foregut. The more complex the food the longer it will take to get any benefit.
6)Creatinine NO- There are studies that looked specifically at cycling and creatine and showed no benefit. Most of the athletes that found benefit were sports like football where mass was important.

·
Registered
21,832 Posts
Depends

Coolhand said:
I would delete cookies as they have way too much fat, same with the candy bar.
There are several cookies on the market (Archway makes some) that are in the 25-30% fat range, and pretty much made with "natural" ingredients like oatmeal, etc. You have to read the labels. A 3 Musketeers candy bar is about 30% fat, and if you are starting to feel light headed from low blood sugar, will give you a kick in the butt in less that 15 minutes, IME. Not to suggest for one second that either of these should be a mainstay of your diet, but that they can have their place and won't do you much harm.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.