Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
L.A. is on the cover. The article describes Lance's work to fight cancer. I believe what he does is important and I have donated to the LAF, but here is what gets me.
The article begins by describing how during the interview he is driving about twice the speed limit using his knees to steer while he eats his lunch and when the author offers to steer he is fixed with "The Look". Hmmm.. how many times has that type of driver behavior been discussed on RBR forums?
I know article writers like to start out with a spicey beginning and the situation may not have occurred as reported. But what if it did? Is this a good example? If you are riding this section of road and you get dinged off into the weeds because the driver was too busy wiping salsa off his chin to pay attention and keep control of his car would you
A. Get fixed with "The Look" for being in the way?
B. Get an autograph?
C. Sue and get to move into the new mansion Lance is building? or
D. Be the inspiration for a new foundation?
I would have expected better from him.

· Registered
583 Posts
Does "the look" still work even though he is retired?

Don't get me wrong, I have nothing but respect for him. I have also donated to the LAF and when my girlfriend pressured me into buying a cat, the condition was that I get to name it either merckx or lance (She really didn't like merckx...the name i mean...i tried, but Lance it is). But, when it comes right down to it, he's not giving anyone "the look" in bike races now...and he is kind of a smaller guy. When is it appropriate for people to start "looking" right back?

· Registered
583 Posts
kpcw,
Well put. Much of the story can likely be chalked up to exageration as it is.

For the record, I'd settle out of court for an autograph and 15 mins alone in his garage during which time i am permitted to stuff a large duffle bag full of all the second hand bike parts I can get my hands on (including - but not limited to - wheel sets and anything that says "dura ace" on it)

· Registered
172 Posts
meathead said:
kpcw,
Well put. Much of the story can likely be chalked up to exageration as it is.

For the record, I'd settle out of court for an autograph and 15 mins alone in his garage during which time i am permitted to stuff a large duffle bag full of all the second hand bike parts I can get my hands on (including - but not limited to - wheel sets and anything that says "dura ace" on it)
You forgot the black socks!

· Registered
192 Posts
Suppose

L.A was foolish enough to drive at double the speed limit while eating and steering with his legs - do you really think he'd take his eyes off the road long enough to look at the writer?
And suppose he was crazy enough to do that - do you think the writer would take HIS eyes off the road long enough to register any kind of "Look" ?

Can't see anyone stupid enough to do this being mentally able to find their way to the sign on - let alone win the tour.

As for the writer - someone should waken him up.

· Alien Musician
4,542 Posts
Of course, we all believe what writers say without exagerration? Or do we?

I learned the hard way about journalists when I was misquoted in an article
about "computer hackers". Said article made it look like I was a Kevin Mitnick
type and it couldn't be farther from the truth. Sigh.

· Shirtcocker
60,886 Posts
gotmilk? said:
L.A. is on the cover. The article describes Lance's work to fight cancer. I believe what he does is important and I have donated to the LAF, but here is what gets me.
The article begins by describing how during the interview he is driving about twice the speed limit using his knees to steer while he eats his lunch and when the author offers to steer he is fixed with "The Look". Hmmm.. how many times has that type of driver behavior been discussed on RBR forums?
I know article writers like to start out with a spicey beginning and the situation may not have occurred as reported. But what if it did? Is this a good example? If you are riding this section of road and you get dinged off into the weeds because the driver was too busy wiping salsa off his chin to pay attention and keep control of his car would you
A. Get fixed with "The Look" for being in the way?
B. Get an autograph?
C. Sue and get to move into the new mansion Lance is building? or
D. Be the inspiration for a new foundation?
I would have expected better from him.
From everything I read, Lance sounds like a Class A ass in person, but he's one heckuva cyclist.

· Registered
365 Posts
Yep...he sure was like that growing up in my neck of the woods. Not sure that he has really changed all that much over the years. Hope it works out for him off the bike, but sometimes that Class A behavior doesn't get you very far outside of sports.

· Old Skool
804 Posts
Please... Merckx is King

kpcw said:
He is/was/will be The King of cycling and he is/was/will be the face of cancer survival/cancer research etc.
With all due respect, I beg to differ. Eddy Merckx was/is/will be the King of Cycling. I freely admit that with seven TDF wins Lance was/is/will be the King of the Tour. However, Merckx’s overall record is clearly superior to Lance’s and the records everybody else who ever threw a leg over a bike. IMHO, this is the gospel truth. Here are a couple of links with supporting data:

http://www.cyclinghalloffame.com/
http://www.dannyscl.net/2005/07/greatness-of-lance-armstrong.html

I am not a Lance hater, far from it. Lance is clearly the greatest American road cyclist in history. (The “road” qualifier is out of respect for Major Taylor.) Every US cyclist owes him a debt of gratitude for raising the profile of our sport in US.

As for his personal comportment, I do not know the guy so personally so I will make no comment.

· Old Skool
804 Posts
Sweet Bike

kpcw said:
Merckx Corsa, Faema colors in full Campy (pics will soon be posted).
That sounds like a sweet ride. Personally, I love the Merckx geometry.

BTW, thanks for posting the picture of "the look". That will truly go down as one of the great moments in the history of the TDF and the sport in general. It is right up there with Lemond edging out Fignon in the last stage time trial in 1989.

· Registered
583 Posts
Stogaguy said:
That sounds like a sweet ride. Personally, I love the Merckx geometry.

BTW, thanks for posting the picture of "the look". That will truly go down as one of the great moments in the history of the TDF and the sport in general. It is right up there with Lemond edging out Fignon in the last stage time trial in 1989.
Not to burst any bubbles...but he did do an interview for OLN (televised, so no way to talk yourself into the lying journalist theory) in which he was asked about "the look". It turned out he wasn't looking back at Jan at all, rather just trying to see who/if any of his teammates were coming up the road. Phil Liggett was doing the interview and was clearly heartbroken, as was I.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.