Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm looking into buying pedals for my Colnago Master Olympic bike. I've read alot about the problems associated with Look Pedals regarding mounting and dismounting the cleats.

The bike currently has an earlier Campagnolo Look style pedal.

I'm looking for a quality pedal for sports / racing use and would really appreciate any advice.

Thanks,
Bri

· Banned forever.....or not
24,573 Posts
People who have problems associated with Look Pedals regarding mounting and dismounting the cleats, are wankers.

Look doesn't really make any good pedals for their "Delta" cleats anymore (but some aftermarket pedal manufactures do)
The "New" Keo pedals work just fine. The cleat is a little smaller than the Delta cleat.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I won't argue; i'm sure you have more experience with these pedals than me. What pedal models are used mostly today? I don't often choose the most popular but knowledge of all sorts does inform.

Thanks for your input.

24,573 Posts
Eventhough many people love their Speedplays, they scare the crap out of me. Black Look cleats give me the "secure" feeling that double toe straps used to give. (but are easier to get out of)

24,573 Posts
Keo "classic" or "sprint"?????

· Registered
14,776 Posts
bmcilvenna said:
I What pedal models are used mostly today? I don't often choose the most popular but knowledge of all sorts does inform..
There isn't really a good answer to this. There are several popular lines: Look, Time, Speedplay, Crank Brothers, Shimano, etc. All have advantages and disadvantages.

Why don't you start narrowing it by talking about your use and preferences. Do you want a truly "walkable" shoe? Then look at mtn. bike pedals, with small cleats that can be recessed into the sole (like Shimano SPD). Do you want a big platform for the cleat? Look and Time are popular. Have you ridden any kind of clipless pedal? If so, which, and how did you like it?

Your question is just too broad. There are lots of quality pedals.

And I, for one, have never had any problem with my Look cleats.

· Anti-Hero
10,405 Posts
MR_GRUMPY said:
Eventhough many people love their Speedplays, they scare the crap out of me. Black Look cleats give me the "secure" feeling that double toe straps used to give. (but are easier to get out of)
That "secure" feeling makes my ankles feel like they're going to dislocate... but there's nothing at all wrong with Looks. They're very high quality & very popular. Good example of how you just have to go by what you like.

24,573 Posts
My ankles have built in "float". Pedals with float make me feel that I'm on a floor coated in melted butter, in my cycling shoes.

· Registered
515 Posts
+1 on Keo Carbons (with the cromoly spindle, not the titaniums, which are way expensive). Lighter than the Shimanos, excellent peformance and stabiliyt. I own two pairs, and no problems. I'm 6'4" and weigh up to 230lbs depending on season, and ride a few thousand miles a year. Whenever I hear a squeek, its time for a new cleat (they last a couple of months of high use). Can get black (0 deg. float); grey (4 deg. float) or red (9 deg. float ) cleats.

The sprints and sport (?) and maybe classic (?) models are cheaper, but have different bearing setups that might not be as durable. The Keo Carbon cromolly does a wonderful job of pairing a light, durable pedal with a strong (not flexy or likely to break) spindle.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.