Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not sure who this douche is on the microphone with Bob Roll announcing the Criterium Du Dauphine but if I hear him say "Alessandro DiMarKEE" one more time, I don't know if I'll be able to control myself.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's just maddening when you hear one guy say the name right and the other guy belligerently mispronouncing it back and forth over and over and over again. GAAAAAH he did it again!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm not sure who this douche is on the microphone with Bob Roll announcing the Criterium Du Dauphine but if I hear him say "Alessandro DiMarKEE" one more time, I don't know if I'll be able to control myself.
So how IS it pronounced properly?

This source suggests the announcer is correct:

Luigi Latini De Marchi pronunciation: How to pronounce Luigi Latini De Marchi in Italian

and more:

"If you see an ‘h‘ following the ‘c‘ in Italian then you can be sure that it functions as a buttress to prevent the ‘c’ from softening. This goes against the grain for English speakers, because when we see ‘ch’, it is natural to want to say it as we do in English, for example, ‘chick’, but this is completely wrong in Italian. Use ‘Chianti‘ – the famous Italian wine – as your reference point: you say ‘KYAHN/tee’.
The correct sound for the ‘c’ in these combinations in Italian words: ‘chi’ and ‘che’, is the hard ‘c’ as in ‘cut’ or if you prefer, a ‘k‘ sound. It makes no difference whether there is one ‘c’ or two. The rule stays the same."

Italian Pronunciation made easy How do you say that Word?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It's not the consonant that bothers me. It's the accentuated last vowel. Also, he alternates between Di MarKEE and Day marKEE. Maybe he's never seen the name written and thinks it's French?

·
Devoid of all flim-flam
7,299 Posts
None of the English speaking announcers for the bike races has ever satisfied me when it comes to pronunciation of the non-English names. To me, Steve Schlanger (that's the guy you're complaining about) is just as decent with the names as Phil and Paul, and he does pretty decent coverage of the play-by-play, too. To me, it's part of the fun of watching the coverage. I love it when Bob Roll talks about Europa Car.

But yes, the De Marchi pronunciation did push my button a little.

P.S. Doesn't Steve Schlanger sound just like George Herbert Walker Bush? I'm funnin' ya' Steve! Don't take it personal!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm just happy the event is even on U.S. television, butchered names and all.

I grew up in the 3 tv channel days when you didn't have a hope of seeing any pro cycling on the tv. Now there are over 300 channels with almost every major cycling event carried on U.S. tv ( well, Road Cycling, that is. Track Cycling is still ignored ) and "we" are grumbling over foreign names being mispronounced?

Just curious...is it 'A-wall' or 'Ah-wall'? :D

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
Damn foreign riders should have the decency to use regular American names.

Giovanni Caviglia

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
NBC sports is a hard thing to watch for cycling, thankfully we get our coverage on BEIN.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Yeah! I just watched the last kilometers of the Dauphine on an Italian broadcast and they were butchering the name too!!!! DEE marKEE, DEE marKEE! Crazy Italian broadcasters, I wish they could learn to pronounce De Marchi correctly.

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
So how IS it pronounced properly?

This source suggests the announcer is correct:

Luigi Latini De Marchi pronunciation: How to pronounce Luigi Latini De Marchi in Italian

and more:

"If you see an ‘h‘ following the ‘c‘ in Italian then you can be sure that it functions as a buttress to prevent the ‘c’ from softening. This goes against the grain for English speakers, because when we see ‘ch’, it is natural to want to say it as we do in English, for example, ‘chick’, but this is completely wrong in Italian. Use ‘Chianti‘ – the famous Italian wine – as your reference point: you say ‘KYAHN/tee’.
The correct sound for the ‘c’ in these combinations in Italian words: ‘chi’ and ‘che’, is the hard ‘c’ as in ‘cut’ or if you prefer, a ‘k‘ sound. It makes no difference whether there is one ‘c’ or two. The rule stays the same."

Italian Pronunciation made easy How do you say that Word?
There is no K in the Italian alphabet. The ch dipthong takes its place. By the way---it's "keyAHNtee". Not KEYAHNtee. General rule in Italian is that, unless differentiated by an accent mark over another syllable, the accent is on the penultimate syllable.

Grazie. :wink:

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
No, Roll is doing fine -- even nailing Boasson-Haggen. It's the other guy. Wanna slap him.

Bobke was butchering it the other day: "Bohasson-Aggen"
And "Oreeka Greenage"
And he even said "euskatel ooskaydee"

Steve has been okay for the most part and he's a winner in my book for including the Panda in with the riders during Liege-Bastogne-Liege.

·
Where's that GPS?
3,117 Posts
Give Bobke a break - he's a mid-western boy and those darned foriegn names are tounge-twisters!

I've watched races with Danish, Italian, Dutch, Spanish and other commentators - they all butcher the names.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Considering Bob Roll has lived in Italy, spent years racing in the EU, and speaks Italian and some French, I'd likely trust his pronunciation of European names over most others. He applies the original language's rules of pronunciation, which are not always the way proper names are pronounced. Of course he does do it with a bit of overemphasis and a westerner's twang.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.