Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
8,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
They're both lacquer. They're both similar on a chemical level, especially when you get into Duplicolor or automotive grade paint, or clear tints for wood.

Why is my wife's clear nail lacquer $10 for a 1 oz. container when the exact same clear lacquer cost me $3 for a 10 oz spray can from Autozone?

I keep telling her to hold real still and I'll take care of her nails in 1/10th the time for 1/10th the price, but she keeps refusing :( I've got a really sharp red metal-flake that I've used on some guitar bits that's nearly identical to the red she puts on her toes.

·
a real member's member
3,880 Posts
and eye drops!

you can buy a giant pail of saline solution on ebay delivered from china for just $0.99!

·
Super Moderator
40,806 Posts
They're both lacquer. They're both similar on a chemical level, especially when you get into Duplicolor or automotive grade paint, or clear tints for wood.

Why is my wife's clear nail lacquer $10 for a 1 oz. container when the exact same clear lacquer cost me $3 for a 10 oz spray can from Autozone?

I keep telling her to hold real still and I'll take care of her nails in 1/10th the time for 1/10th the price, but she keeps refusing :( I've got a really sharp red metal-flake that I've used on some guitar bits that's nearly identical to the red she puts on her toes.
It's likely not the exact same lacquer as automotive paint; since it's being applied to humans, it can't have certain concentrations of toxic chemicals (e.g., hardeners, drying agents) that auto body paints can, and it has to be "engineered" to withstand different conditions (e.g., cars live outside and unprotected from temperature extremes more, nails are likely to flex and be abraded more). Most nail polishes are nitrocellulose, with other stuff added.

And it comes in those cute tiny little jars--which are a big cost component of the final product.

·
a real member's member
3,880 Posts
i prefer small tins of enamel to touch up paint on steel bikes, but lacquer nail polish offers hundreds more color choices. i usually just bring the bike into the store to make matching easier. though i have also bought nail polish on ebay for the low cost. clear nail polish is a great way to harden and protect old decals or fabric that might be damaged by rain, sweat, etc.

·
Registered
15,615 Posts
A bottle of foundation is 1oz for $15. The bottle itself is stout and thick, making it *feel* like you're getting something substantial. That comes to nearly $2k/gallon street value.

Acetone is basically nail polish remover; emery boards are just sandpaper......the garage has many cosmetic possibilities! Foundation is probably the same as latex paint or spackle.

Lately I've been buying oil-based spray lacquer for my copper "art" projects. This is $3.50/can @ Michael's with one of their 50% off coupons. Forgot to compare the prices tonight while at Home Depot. Not sure how you could get that on nails w/o a good stencil and a respirator.

·
a real member's member
3,880 Posts
this happens with food too. people often pay more for food with less calories or no calories.

i was raised on skim milk. but i finally realized ... there's no milk in this milk i'm paying for.

1%er.

·
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
8,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It's likely not the exact same lacquer as automotive paint; since it's being applied to humans, it can't have certain concentrations of toxic chemicals (e.g., hardeners, drying agents) that auto body paints can, and it has to be "engineered" to withstand different conditions (e.g., cars live outside and unprotected from temperature extremes more, nails are likely to flex and be abraded more). Most nail polishes are nitrocellulose, with other stuff added.

And it comes in those cute tiny little jars--which are a big cost component of the final product.
Ah, you're right. Duplicolor takes a few days to fully gas off and cure...Nail polish does so in a matter of hours.

·
Registered
15,615 Posts
this happens with food too. people often pay more for food with less calories or no calories.

i was raised on skim milk. but i finally realized ... there's no milk in this milk i'm paying for.

1%er.
Since I don't eat meat, this makes me a little crazy. Why on earth is a vegetarian option costing as much as a meat option?? :incazzato:

I do understand it's trickier to prepare a good vegetarian meal- more labor involved, but still.

·
Low rep power
6,264 Posts
Automobile paints are isocyanate-based. As isocyanates are highly reactive allergic sensitizers, dermal contact would be a bad thing.

That said, nail polish comes in really handy for fly tying..........

1 - 13 of 13 Posts