Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
7,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Oomloop, KBK, and Strade Bianche have all been fun to watch so far. Quickstep looks poised to have another great spring and MVDP proved that he is ready as well. I am looking forward to seeing where things go from here.

·
Super Moderator
19,480 Posts
Strade Bianche was good. Van der Poel must've put out 1000+ watts of power on that climb up to Sienna.

I just watched Grote Prijs Jean Peiorre Monsere. Good finish.
Lots of crashes. Must be all the young riders.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Strade Bianche was good. Van der Poel must've put out 1000+ watts of power on that climb up to Sienna.

Pretty fun seeing such a high-quality and diverse group at the end of strade bianche.

·
Registered
7,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I agree with both of you on each of those races. I only watched a little bit of the first, but could tell it was a crash fest. On Strade Bianche, that's part of what makes that race special to me. It's so hard to predict who will win because the course suits different types of riders depending on what happens during the race. It could be a GC type one year, an Ardennes style puncheur the next, a bigger cobbled classics hard man another. It makes it fun.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts

Peak was slightly higher than mine at 1362. Of course, his 20s was way higher than what I can maintain. Guy is otherworldly.

·
Registered
7,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
7,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
7,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This is my dark horse for a big win this spring. Keep your eye on him.

·
Registered
4,493 Posts
It’s great having classics! Hopefully we can start to see fans lining the routes very soon! Omloop and Strada Bianchi were great, agree with the uniqueness of Strada making it such an anticipated race! Quick Step looks dominant, even in Bennett’s sprints at Paris-Niece... The other sprinters just don’t have a chance they are so well drilled!

·
Registered
7,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I agree. Wow, the two Slovenians look like they are going to be very difficult to beat again in stage races this year. They are no joke! Simon Yates looks strong as well and Geraint Thomas appears to be back to his old self.

·
Registered
7,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sunday Mar 14. Great racing today at Paris Nice and Tirreno Adriatico.
Both races have definitely been really good. I was disappointed to see Roglic go down and injure himself, but I have enjoyed watching how aggressive different riders and teams have been. MVDP is ridiculous lol. WVA too. The rest of the Spring should be fun.

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
Just a brief update for the postponed Spanish races from earlier this winter. Valencia will be raced in April. Mallorca, Andalucia, and Murica will be raced in May along with another small Spanish race and one more will be raced in July.

·
Registered
7,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just a brief update for the postponed Spanish races from earlier this winter. Valencia will be raced in April. Mallorca, Andalucia, and Murica will be raced in May along with another small Spanish race and one more will be raced in July.
Interesting.

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
Interesting.
When the races were postponing their events I remember Mallorca and Murcia had specifically requested being moved to May.

It'll be interesting to see who and which teams go. As these are WT races the only WT team who will definitely be at all these races is Movistar. Valencia could get riders who are planning on racing either the GIro or Tour, but the races in May obviously won't get anyone going to the Giro and likely won't get anyone going to the Tour unless you get a team like Cofidis or Astana that have multiple Spaniards who may request going to one or two of those races.

·
Registered
7,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

·
Registered
7,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I was pretty surprised by the Flanders finish. Am I the only one? MVDP actually sat up and shook his head. Asgreen is no joke.

·
Neophyte
2,137 Posts
There seemed to be talk before the race that he'd be a contender for the win-- but still many would be surprised to not see van Aert or van der Poel, right?

Paris-Roubaix moved to October due to COVID...

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
It would seem that both MvdP and WvA are discovering their limits. Killing it through the Cx season then trying to continue at the same level right into a spring classics was questionable. Now suddenly they’re running out of gas at just the wrong moments.

It is also instructional to watch Chris Horner’s comments on his YouTube vlog, The Butterfly Effect. He’s especially critical of Jumbo Visma tactics.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts