Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
7,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
There seemed to be talk before the race that he'd be a contender for the win-- but still many would be surprised to not see van Aert or van der Poel, right?

Paris-Roubaix moved to October due to COVID...
Agreed, Asgreen was definitely in good form, he won earlier this Classics campaign. I was still shocked to see him outsprint MDVP and ride WVA and Alaphillippe off his wheel though.

·
Registered
7,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
It would seem that both MvdP and WvA are discovering their limits. Killing it through the Cx season then trying to continue at the same level right into a spring classics was questionable. Now suddenly they’re running out of gas at just the wrong moments.

It is also instructional to watch Chris Horner’s comments on his YouTube vlog, The Butterfly Effect. He’s especially critical of Jumbo Visma tactics.
Valid points for sure. No human can be on 100% of the time all season long. We've seen that with Sagan and others recently too.

·
Registered
4,504 Posts
Valid points for sure. No human can be on 100% of the time all season long. We've seen that with Sagan and others recently too.
It really drives home the point of training specificity... The perfect fitness window is small and fragile...

That finish shocked me! It also looked like maybe WvdP knew his legs were shot as he was caught in a smaller gear?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
It really drives home the point of training specificity... The perfect fitness window is small and fragile...

That finish shocked me! It also looked like maybe WvdP knew his legs were shot as he was caught in a smaller gear?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Agree. He definitely sat up and I've never really seen him do anything like that during a sprint finish in cyclocross, road or MTB. Not sure what happened, but my guess is his legs just didn't have it for such a long sprint after all they had been through.

Reactions: PBL450

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Happy to see Asgreen win Flanders. Surprised he was able to win the sprint. He's been in good form for the classics.

I was happy to see Valverde win GP Miguel Indurain. Yes, yes, it's just a small 1 day race in Spain, but still nice to see.

·
Registered
7,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Congrats to Tom Pidcock on his first big win, another great new rider.
Can't wait to get a healthy Remco back in the mix with this amazing new lead group.

Reactions: Wetworks

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Love that sprint today at Amstel Gold! Kinda looks indeterminate to me. But the broadcast and CN did not show the photo finish camera images yet! Is the UCI suppressing this? The broadcast did show the image of an official's ipad, but that is even more ambiguous. of course both deserved the win!!

·
Registered
7,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Big win for TP in Amstel Gold for sure. It sounds like he had an unfortunate crash today. Mr. Alaphilippe did his thing again though. No surprises there lol.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Thankfully Alaphilippe did NOT win LBL, thank you Pogacar for preventing that.

Valverde is at best on his 2019 level and it's obvious that's the best he's going to manage again and at 41 he's never learned to how to be tactically smart. When Valverde retires, I'm fully done with the sport. There's no one else in the peloton I care enough about to look for races to watch (and that requires they win for me to actually look for the race). Once Valverde retires the entire rest of the field I either don't like at all or don't care one way or the other about.

·
Neophyte
2,142 Posts
Cracks me up how much you don't like Alaphilippe. 🙂

Valverde birthday win would have been a nice story but oh well.

I was hoping Gaudi would steal it, he came in second so many times last year.

For a second while they were playing cat and mouse I thought they might get caught there.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts