Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
7,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
There seemed to be talk before the race that he'd be a contender for the win-- but still many would be surprised to not see van Aert or van der Poel, right?

Paris-Roubaix moved to October due to COVID...
Agreed, Asgreen was definitely in good form, he won earlier this Classics campaign. I was still shocked to see him outsprint MDVP and ride WVA and Alaphillippe off his wheel though.

·
Registered
7,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
It would seem that both MvdP and WvA are discovering their limits. Killing it through the Cx season then trying to continue at the same level right into a spring classics was questionable. Now suddenly they’re running out of gas at just the wrong moments.

It is also instructional to watch Chris Horner’s comments on his YouTube vlog, The Butterfly Effect. He’s especially critical of Jumbo Visma tactics.
Valid points for sure. No human can be on 100% of the time all season long. We've seen that with Sagan and others recently too.

·
Registered
4,493 Posts
Valid points for sure. No human can be on 100% of the time all season long. We've seen that with Sagan and others recently too.
It really drives home the point of training specificity... The perfect fitness window is small and fragile...

That finish shocked me! It also looked like maybe WvdP knew his legs were shot as he was caught in a smaller gear?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
It really drives home the point of training specificity... The perfect fitness window is small and fragile...

That finish shocked me! It also looked like maybe WvdP knew his legs were shot as he was caught in a smaller gear?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Agree. He definitely sat up and I've never really seen him do anything like that during a sprint finish in cyclocross, road or MTB. Not sure what happened, but my guess is his legs just didn't have it for such a long sprint after all they had been through.

Reactions: PBL450

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
Happy to see Asgreen win Flanders. Surprised he was able to win the sprint. He's been in good form for the classics.

I was happy to see Valverde win GP Miguel Indurain. Yes, yes, it's just a small 1 day race in Spain, but still nice to see.

·
Registered
7,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
21 - 27 of 27 Posts