Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
GeoCyclist
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday was a beautiful Spring day, or so we thought when we set off to cycle the mountains. There hadn’t been any rain, or snow, on the coast for several days. So, we assumed it would be a good day to ride Rakan plateau. At 1000 metres I would not say that Rakan is a high plateau; however, there is a small ski area right at the top of the plateau. Anyway, it was a beautiful morning, a bit cool at 4 C, but clear and windless. We cycled up the Nishiki river looking for blooming cheery trees (still too early) and enjoyed the blue sky. The first photo was taken while cycling up Hongo valley and Rakan can be seen in the background. Yes, that is now on the mountain; however, the road was clear and the weather was great. So, we continued climbing up to Rakan. My cycling buddy for the day was Tom; well bundled for a cool day of cycling. As we climbed toward Rakan we could see the road was clear, so we just kept heading toward our demise.

·
GeoCyclist
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
There was one factor that we did not calculate into our ride plan. We climbed up to Rakan on the south facing side of the mountain. We crested over the top and dropped down to the ski area; and the road was still clear of snow. As soon as we started the climb out the North side of the platue we ran into the white stuff. Yes, those are slick racing tires on our bikes. Nothing like a nice walk in the snow!

·
GeoCyclist
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Now, just a few more kilometers of down hill before the snow clears. It was about a 4 km walk through the snow, but as you can see from the last photo it was a beautiful day none the less. All in all, it only cost us a bit of time and wore out the bottoms of our shoe covers. One useful item to carry if you are cycling in the snow is a house key. Yes, the house key is very good tool for digging the ice out of your shoe cleats.

I sure hope you all had at least one good ride this weekend!

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
Makes me grateful for the weather on today's ride--dry, about 60*, winds very light...a nice respite between rainstorms, and I'm glad I did it since the next chance won't be until Wednesday.

I do love snow in the mountains, though. Thanx for the pix.

Now, about those cherry blossoms....

·
Coco Puff
2,119 Posts
Nice pics, thanks again Geo. Really pretty country there.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts