Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am dying to get on my bike! Our conditions here in Calgary are improving...until the next dump of snow...could be tomorrow, March or even June. This will be my first 'early' season on the roads.

We have lots of gravel and I was wondering if anyone recommends a good cheap durable tire to use until our raods get better.

Thanks : )
 

·
Every little counts...
Joined
·
3,924 Posts
Go to MEC

nyquil said:
We have lots of gravel and I was wondering if anyone recommends a good cheap durable tire to use until our raods get better.
and pick up the cheapest 25 mm wire beads they have. I am using Michelin Dynamic 28mm wire bead. Cushy, rides over gravel and through potholes (Ottawa) no problems. I can fit these on my cross bike with fenders.
 

·
Banned forever.....or not
Joined
·
24,566 Posts
Conti Sport 1000's fit the bill. Either 700X23 or 700X25
Dirt cheap.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
Cheap is good. This doesn't really mean low quality, though. The other posters made some good suggestions. I stocked up on some Michelin Sport 700X25's a couple of years ago (the Dynamics replaced the Sports last year I think). The tread is deep and the sidewalls are thick enough to ride through gravel and other crappy surfaces. Save the good rubber for better conditions...
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
6,360 Posts
Two that work for me...

Lose the 23mm tires, first--we have a lot of gravel roads around here, in addition to the normal spring gravel on the pavement, and I've used either Panaracer Paselas or whatever's cheaper between Performance and Nashbar house brand tires in 700x28 or larger for several years.
Actually I prefer even bigger tires--32s or 35s--but they won't fit on a lot of modern frames and forks. 28s work on my Allez. I don't notice any increased rolling resistance (same times on my 22-mile commute), and they're much more comfortable, durable and stable.
If you want to spend a little more money, I think Specialized still makes an Armadillo in 26mm, and those are just about bulletproof.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wahooo!!!! Back on the road!

Thanks for the info....I ended up picking up some cheapies Michelin Dynamic 23's. They worked just fine today!
Soooo good to get back on the bike outdoors!!
I love smokin' past riders (guys especially) on a PINK bike! :D
 

·
fuzzy legs
Joined
·
39 Posts
nyquil said:
Thanks for the info....I ended up picking up some cheapies Michelin Dynamic 23's. They worked just fine today!
Soooo good to get back on the bike outdoors!!
I love smokin' past riders (guys especially) on a PINK bike! :D
Poseur!

Which guy had a pink bike? Where do I get one?

b.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
57 Posts
nyquil said:
I am dying to get on my bike! Our conditions here in Calgary are improving...until the next dump of snow...could be tomorrow, March or even June. This will be my first 'early' season on the roads.

We have lots of gravel and I was wondering if anyone recommends a good cheap durable tire to use until our raods get better.

Thanks : )
i'm in calgary too. i use my cross bike with 25's for commuting in town, but the roads outside calgary are looking pretty good. lots of gravel-free space on the shoulders. i took the road bike (with 23's) out to kananaskis on saturday and rode the length of hwy 40 and part of the way into lougheed park (turn right where the highwood pass gate is closed) and the roads were mostly fine; only a couple iffy spots. also, hardly any traffic. i was riding out past bragg creek the week before and the roads were fine there too, but it was a non-stop parade of cars.
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top