Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm finding that I can get more speed when on the drops and sitting versus on the drops and standing up off the saddle. Yesterday, on a flat road, I put this to the test. I tried to go all out for about 150 yards, first sitting, in the big ring (53) and small gear on the cassette
(12), I then tried the same while standing. My max speed was 34.3mph while sitting, 33.2 while standing. The overall average speed was also higher while sitting. Lightning quick, I'll never be that, but shouldn't the results be the opposite of what I'm finding?

·
waterproof*
41,611 Posts
sounds about right.

sitting is more aero, which really matters at that speed. and, spinning is generally the way to get the most power out of your legs, plus it's more efficient when seated.

now... making it work like that at the end of a race is a different question!

·
Registered
8,123 Posts
Well...it's really a combination of the two. To accelerate quickly or while climbing out of the saddle is better. For top end, sitting is probably going to net a bit higher speed due to more aero position.

However, gearing plays a big role in it as well.

I usually start my sprint out of the saddle and as the speed increases move to the saddle. If it's an uphill sprint I tend to be out of the saddle almost all the way.

·
Moderatus Puisne
15,886 Posts
Sprint better.

What they said.

You're solo, and trying to go fairly fast... that's more of a time trial.

To oversimplify, the explosiveness a real race sprint requires needs standing to throw your whole body into the acceleration.

If you watch real sprinters, they stand, "explode" and accelerate, then often sit to keep their speed up for the end.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,427 Posts
You may have a higher top end, but you'll cross the line 5 yards behind the winners. Unless the sprint starts at 400-350 yards, you'll lose every time. The shorter the sprint, the more "snap" you need. The longer the sprint, the person with the higher top end will do well.

·
Registered
429 Posts
General sprinting formula is stand first for the initial big acceleration. After you've spun up your gear (either the one you started in or a couple higher), sit down and spin the gear out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts