Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
More Saturday night bar recommendations pls!

My Fuji Team Issue came specced w/a 42cm Ritchey OS WCS Bar which is too narrow for me and doesn't have a long enough grip on the drops for my liking. I switched it out immediately for a cheapo Aerus 44 aluminium bar which is fine except for the fact that it weighs 300g+ and has the annoying double groove (one in front - one behind) that makes the bar feel very skinny on the tops/untrustworthy (I have Shimano DA brifters)

My dream bar will have a relatively long straight section on the drops for all out sprinting as well as the anatomic or straight section on the radius of the bend below the shifters for control in the corners. No groove (1 max). Be <250g and be very stiff. Does this bar exist? I don't care if it's carbon but I don't really want to spend more than ~$150 on it.

I've been contemplating the Deda Newton but in my ignorance am unsure if the 31.7mm clamp size is compatible w/my 31.8mm stem. Other candidates are the FSA K-force, Reynolds Ouzo Pro.

All recommendations greatly appreciated!

·
No team-cest unless 8+!
7,158 Posts
Srexy said:
More Saturday night bar recommendations pls!

My Fuji Team Issue came specced w/a 42cm Ritchey OS WCS Bar which is too narrow for me and doesn't have a long enough grip on the drops for my liking. I switched it out immediately for a cheapo Aerus 44 aluminium bar which is fine except for the fact that it weighs 300g+ and has the annoying double groove (one in front - one behind) that makes the bar feel very skinny on the tops/untrustworthy (I have Shimano DA brifters)

My dream bar will have a relatively long straight section on the drops for all out sprinting as well as the anatomic or straight section on the radius of the bend below the shifters for control in the corners. No groove (1 max). Be <250g and be very stiff. Does this bar exist? I don't care if it's carbon but I don't really want to spend more than ~$150 on it.

I've been contemplating the Deda Newton but in my ignorance am unsure if the 31.7mm clamp size is compatible w/my 31.8mm stem. Other candidates are the FSA K-force, Reynolds Ouzo Pro.

All recommendations greatly appreciated!
I have the FSA RD200 bars. Sounds like what you're describing. The drop is pretty deep, so its good at letting you get low and aero for that hardcore finishing sprint.

I think they retail for like 90? Its lighter than the FSA k-wing carbon bars. I have pretty big hands too... the drop seems big enough for me.

... and the Newton's aren't compatible. You would have to buy a new stem as well.

·
Old, slow, and fat.
3,897 Posts
Ummm Cinelli 65-44s? (I forget if that's the # for the deep drop version... I know the 64-44 is the shallower drop.)

Old skool tho. No ergo bend.

Love em on my track bike!

M

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Why not just go for round drops? Deda Newton Italians, that is. I like them, and I feel like all I do is sprint.

I don't recommend going for wider bars just for the perceived stability or comfort. Narrower bars thread through the pack easier and don't steer as sluggish as the big guns. Obviously, though, use what fits - 44 isn't really that wide, anyway.

Oh, yeah - the 31.7 vs 31.8 incompatability thing is hooey. Ignore that; you won't need a new stem unless you want to adjust to bars of a different reach, drop, etc.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.