Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long story short. I've recently become addicted to racing and have good initial results. I dedicated myself to cycling and stopped lifting weights w/ my legs 8 mos ago. I lift upper body 2x per week and only high reps, supersetting different muscle groups to keep it aerobic. I've gone from 220lbs to just under 200 lbs in about 3 mos (6'3" and about 10% body fat), however my legs are half the size they use to be. I can climb much faster but feel my sprint is less than it use to be. If in a group sprint I seem to always finish in top 5 and have a couple second places but feel if I could sprint like I use to I may be taking the podium. At this point what would anyone recommend??? Should I start lifting legs again? In what manner? I've tried this once or twice on vacation and cannot lift the weight I use to and regradless end up with VERY sore legs the next few days and it limits any intervals or tempo riding I do on the bike. I know some people would say just practice sprinting but I'm not sure that this is the way to get best at sprinting. If I should stick w/ just on bike time how many and what types of work-outs should I dedicate to this? In Cat 5 this seems to make or break your finish and I just want to optimize my talent. I feel like w/ my weight loss and training I can hang w/ the group on 95% of races (even w/ hills) and would like to feel like Boonen nearing the finish line. If I'm near the front ain't nobody gonna beat me!

·
Registered
467 Posts
If you want a better sprint,sprint on the bike.Weights I don't think are going to get you where you need to be.

I have dedicated one day a week to doing sprint workouts and have seen big improvements in just the past 2 months.

One of the biggest differences it makes training for a begginer to sprint is practicing the right form.You could squat,leg press and leg curl a lot of weight but if your sprinting on the hoods and are sloppy it is going to get you no where.

As far as what types of workouts to do I am sure you will get tons of suggestions on that but I have been keeping it basic.I have two types of sprints workouts.Low speed and high speed.

I will either do a day where I am sprinting for 100 yards or so starting at 16-19 MPH in a biggish gear like(53X14).Start by focusing on getting the first 5 pedel strokes over FAST.This has helped me on explosiveness and strength.

I will also do them from 24-27MPH in the same gear(53X14) but I will upshift into my 13T.These are done for a longer distance(200 yards or so) and I focus on going as hard as I can to get it as fast as possible.These are suppose to help with top end.It helps to do these with a slight tail wind.

The only other thing that I keep in mind when doing these is that the last one you do needs to be as strong as the first.Quality of qauntity.Hope this helps some.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
so you either work on the 'snap' or explosiveness to sprinting or the high-end, maintaining the speed portion of it. How many of each interval do you do? after warm up and cool down is this roughly an hour or so work out? I feel fairly good about my form but am still trying to perfect what gear to start in, what my ideal cadence should be, and how far out from the finish line I can start the sprint which I'm sure will play a huge factor in finishing well. So far nobody has really passed me sprinting, I have just not been able to quite catch the lead man or men although normally am gaining ground. Just need a bit more snap or I guess high end speed to get the job done.

·
Registered
467 Posts
BigPiece said:
so you either work on the 'snap' or explosiveness to sprinting or the high-end, maintaining the speed portion of it. How many of each interval do you do? after warm up and cool down is this roughly an hour or so work out? I feel fairly good about my form but am still trying to perfect what gear to start in, what my ideal cadence should be, and how far out from the finish line I can start the sprint which I'm sure will play a huge factor in finishing well. So far nobody has really passed me sprinting, I have just not been able to quite catch the lead man or men although normally am gaining ground. Just need a bit more snap or I guess high end speed to get the job done.
As far as how many to do that depends on each individual.On the day that I do the lower speed stuff I can do more of those.On a week where I am focusing on working really hard I can get 9-10 of them before I feel I should stop.They are so short that I don't really get to my max HR.

However,the days where I do the longer ones they take a lot out of me.6-7 of those and I am ready to call it quits.

I have a rail to trail about 6 miles from my house so I ride there to do them so I am away from traffic and any bumps,pot holes etc.I usually warm up on the way there and to the spot I do them, which is about 20 minutes.I do the workouts with 4-6 minutes between efforts then cruise home.Total it is 1-1.5 hours.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
You can just do what that guy did in Sunday's Cat 5 and time-trial your way to victory. That was pretty impressive, no need for a sprint. :p

Lou.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
True...

that kid is sick fast. smoked everyone the whole series. ready for an upgrade I'd say. probably should have stuck to his wheel off the starting line but once he was gone I knew he wasn't coming back.

·
Registered
495 Posts
I came from lifting weights as well, though I never did much leg stuff as I was gifted with good genetics there. I would do weight workouts on the bike. Do some low cadence (40-50 rpm) cadence stuff for power up hill, and do alot of spinning intervals for leg speed. Add in some 10 second all out sprint intervals with a few minutes rest in between and that should do it. You also need to figure out what type of sprinter you are. Can you hold a good speed out in the wind for a while, but it takes you some time to build it up? if so, break early and make the guys try and come around you. I'm a bit of the opposite, though I can hold a sprint for a while, I'm very quick and get up to top speed fast. I tend to wait until I know I can accelerate all the way through the line and I've yet to have someone come around me. I have made the mistake of leaving it to late though and although I'm overtaking everyone including the winner i've lost some close ones.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts