Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i'm thinking about installing a brooks conquest (the skinniest one with springs) on my commuter ride. i commute through detroit (a city not known for butter smooth streets) and i'd like something to take the edge off of the ride. do any of you folks ride a seat with, um, "travel?"

my main concern is this:
would the constantly changing distance between my butt and my feet cause some issues with cadence? or is the difference so minute that i shouldn't expect any problems?

·
Registered
127 Posts
I wouldn't expect any problems. It's like having a rigid saddle and hitting bumps while pedaling, you still bounce and the distance between your butt and the pedals is going to change so a little suspended movement will still have the same effect.

·
Non non normal
10,183 Posts
Another way to lessen the pain of rough roads is to increase the tire size and decrease the air pressure. 80 to 90 psi does wonders to smooth out a rough road.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks bigrider, but I've tried to go that route already. I don't know how to explain Detroit streets to a road biker. If you were a mountain biker, I'd say they are a lot like rocky singletrack with moving glass roots and cavernous potholes.

Right now I run 32c Specialized tires with about 90-95 pounds of pressure. I tried running less pressure but I pinch flatted too often. Unfortunately, I stay up too late to afford the luxury of taking time to fix flats on the way to work. 5:30am is as early as I can drag myself out of bed.

I hate to be a wimp about this but my back kinda hurts from the all the jarring of my commute (14 miles). I can joyride for MUCH longer, but on those rides I choose my roads. I'm lucky enough to live a few blocks from miles of silky smooth shoreline.

I've really got to take some pics of these streets...The roads are obviously attrocious and the scenery is sad and interesting at the same time.

·
Premium Member
12,036 Posts
Brooks=happy

commuter73 said:
so i'm thinking about installing a brooks conquest (the skinniest one with springs) on my commuter ride. i commute through detroit (a city not known for butter smooth streets) and i'd like something to take the edge off of the ride. do any of you folks ride a seat with, um, "travel?"
I ride a heavy Brooks B66 Champion on my Surly. I commute on it as well as ride the occasional century. Once you break it in it's muy comfy.

commuter73 said:
my main concern is this:
or is the difference so minute that i shouldn't expect any problems?
yes. I think the suspension comes more from the leather flexing than the springs moving. They're pretty dern stiff.

·
Registered
14 Posts
B66 is springy and bouncy

First, I don't have Brooks saddles on my fixed gear, but I have experience with them on other bikes. I think the coil spring Brooks saddles are noticeably bouncy, not in a bad way though. However, some riders may not like it at all.

I've got both a B66 (coil springs) and a B72 (wrapped springs) on very similar bikes. See this link for pictures: http://www.wallbike.com/brooks/doubletriplerailsprungsaddles.html

I notice the B66 is bouncy and the B72 is very firm. If you combine the B66 with soft tire pressures, you get a luxurious ride. It may be too soft for some people.

Give the B66 a try. If you don't like it, they seem to have a good resale price on ebay.

Rob

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for the info, folks.

hollywood, i dig your ride. you actually have a similar setup to what i'm doing. i've got some old specialized bars instead of your midge ones, but similar nonetheless. i really like the wood fenders. i'm may try to build some out of scrap teak/mahogany from the boat.

rigtenzin, your info was especially helpful. i like a very stiff ride (rigid mountain bike and cannondale r2000 roadbike) but for my commuter, i'm going squishy. i've ordered the conquest pro. i'll let you folks know how it turns out once i tear this old frame apart...track drops are on the way from nova cycles!

·
Premium Member
12,036 Posts
commuter73 said:
thanks for the info, folks.

hollywood, i dig your ride. you actually have a similar setup to what i'm doing. i've got some old specialized bars instead of your midge ones, but similar nonetheless. i really like the wood fenders. i'm may try to build some out of scrap teak/mahogany from the boat.
bars are actually old WTB Dirt Drops. And much respect to you if you can build your own fenders out of scrap wood !

enjoy~

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.