Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My rear deraileur shift lever squeaks and causes a bit of resistance everytime I shift the lever into a bigger cog. I have experimented adjusting the barrel adjuster on the rear deraileur by loosening and tightening but the squeak comes back after a few miles riding. There's never any delay in the chain upshifting through the cogs. I am coming to think maybe the spring mechanism in the shift lever is toast. I got an '08 Campy Record 10s. Any help appreciated.

·
Registered
21,832 Posts
Squeak

tjjm36m3 said:
My rear deraileur shift lever squeaks and causes a bit of resistance everytime I shift the lever into a bigger cog. I have experimented adjusting the barrel adjuster on the rear deraileur by loosening and tightening but the squeak comes back after a few miles riding. There's never any delay in the chain upshifting through the cogs. I am coming to think maybe the spring mechanism in the shift lever is toast. I got an '08 Campy Record 10s. Any help appreciated.
Some obvious questions: Is the BB cable guide clean? Is the cable and casing clean and lubed? Have you oiled the pivots on the derailleur? Have you cleaned and lubed the derailleur pulleys? Are you sure the noise is coming from the back of the bike and not from the shifter? Is the chain clean and properly lubed? Just some places to start. BTW, it is HIGHLY unlikely that it is the derailleur spring.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.