Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,006 Posts
Before 'oiling' assorted parts, I'd try to narrow down the area of the noise. There have been a number of occasions where I *knew* where a noise originated, only to find I was mistaken. Noises have a way of traveling through a frame.

The bottom bracket area is particularly tricky because of the number of possible causes. Bottom bracket, crankarms, chainring bolts, pedals.. if you're unfamiliar with wrenching you may want to consider having your LBS diagnose/ repair this one. If not, there are some steps you can take to narrow the cause.

Update and we can advise further...

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I knew PJ would come to my rescue. I will mount it up and listen carefully. I know this my sound bad but, it's hard for me to take my bike to the LBS where the norm is 1k bikes.

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,006 Posts
I knew PJ would come to my rescue. I will mount it up and listen carefully. I know this my sound bad but, it's hard for me to take my bike to the LBS where the norm is 1k bikes.
Nothing at all wrong with trying this yourself. Because it's your bike, you'll likely have more patience. I was just forewarning you that the diagnosis may be more elusive than you think. Once diagnosed, the remedy is generally quite straightforward.

Good luck, and update us as to your progress.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I think it was the chain. I lubed all the places the chain goes through. I hit the crank and pedals as well. I didn't get the brake cables or any of that deals with the brakes. As the noise was coming from the chain area.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.