Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Who needs a map?
2,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i got a set of rollers (and highly recommend them for training), but they recently started squeaking with each revolution. I think the rubber belt that connects the front/back rollers is rubbing some how on the front roller. I tried putting some graphite in the belt groove, but no luck. Any ideas? Anyone had this problem?

details: cycle-ops aluminum rollers, bought new in December '05, set up on carpet.

·
Registered
602 Posts
If you've lubed the belt and the squeaking is the same it could be the bearings in the roller wheels. Yesterday I took my 10 year old Performance PVC rollers apart and repacked the bearings with marine grease. They previously squealed so much I've moved onto my statonary trainer for indoor workouts. After reassembly the rollers turned out as quiet as when they were new.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
nonsleepingjon said:
i got a set of rollers (and highly recommend them for training), but they recently started squeaking with each revolution. I think the rubber belt that connects the front/back rollers is rubbing some how on the front roller. I tried putting some graphite in the belt groove, but no luck. Any ideas? Anyone had this problem?

details: cycle-ops aluminum rollers, bought new in December '05, set up on carpet.
What's the frequency of the the squeak. Is it on the freq. of the front roller rotation or the freq. of a belt rotation. That's a clue to where to start. If it's on a roller rotation Mr.Meow's advice about the bearings is a good place to begin, if on a belt rotation, take a good hard look at the belt for wear or defect.

Scot

·
Registered
37 Posts
nonsleepingjon said:

I got my cycle-ops Al rollers early this month and put about 100 miles so far but it hasn't started squeaking yet. :)

If I was in your shoes, I'd start (what some of the previous poster have suggested) first oiling/greasing the bearings. Maybe checking to see if there's excessive play (side to side motion) in the rollers...if that's the case try tightening the nuts on the ends of the rollers. Use discreation on how tight to make it. I highly doubt the belt is the issue...most likely a loose bearing or some oiling. Just my opinion. :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts