Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
BIGchainRING
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear RBR members, please try and help with my situation.

I have a Selle Italia Flite Gel saddle that is making a squeaking noise. My ride starts off silently, but after a while (maybe 1/2 hour+) my saddle starts making a noise like walking in a new pair of leather shoes when I pedal. I have tried greasing the rails and that didn't really help at all. I've tried dripping some 3-in-1 oil into the points where the rails contact the saddle, and that didn't do it either.

As soon as I stand up and pedal, there is no more squeak, so I think that the problem lies somewhere in the saddle. Also, if I slide toward the rear of the saddle, the noise diminishes, so it seems to be coming from the nose end.

I don't think it has anything to do with the seatpost (FSA SLK) because I used carbon assembly paste and torqued it to specs when I built up the bike 2 years ago. Also, this problem only cropped up maybe 2 months ago.

Anybody else have a similar problem, and did you find a solution? As you know, little creaks & squeaks can be maddening.:cryin:

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
In addition to liberally greasing the saddle rails, apply a coat of grease to every contact surface on the seatpost. Could be coming from the part holding the bottom of saddle contacting remainder of post, the bolt holding the top clamp, etc. even grease the threads of the bolt. If you have one, hit it with a heat gun or a hair dryer to melt the grease into every crevice. Sounds like a lot of work, but if you are reasonably sure its coming from the post clamp area, elimate all the possibilities.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Sometimes this is also the seatpost in the tube - how far does your post extend below the seat collar? If you have a lot of extra post then trimming it can reduce the amount of rubbing you get from the bottom of the post moving around laterally inside the seat tube.

I have also had the creak with the Flite saddles from Selle Italia. I don't ride those saddles anymore but what was always the culprit for me was grit that had worked its way in between the rails and the clamps. I wouldn't recommend greasing the rails - I would clean the rails and the saddle as much as possible, and also clean out the seat post clamp and hardware. Remove all the old grease and if you have a compressor blow-dry and get them sparkly. Then assemble without any grease other than maybe very light grease on the threads of the bolt and go for a ride to see if that worked.

Those are my two suggestions. Good luck and keep us posted!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have had this exact thing happen to me and did all the lubing as you have. :mad2: I did find the final solution however, was with the carbon seatpost. I ended up pulling it out and using carbon paste lubing it again, and the squeaking went away immediately.

I find that it did return again later and have to clean and reapply the carbon paste to stop it every so often.

Works for me, so hope it helps you out as well.

·
BIGchainRING
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the suggestions. I would have tried a different saddle, but the clamp on the FSA seatpost only takes saddles with thicker rails. Who would have thought that saddles have different thickness rails? (my other saddle has skinny rails that work well with my Easton seatpost).

So, I took off the Flite and checked to make sure that it wasn't cracked. After 2600 miles, it is still good as new.

It really seemed like the noise was making a creaky leather sound. I noticed that the leather sides of the saddle contacted the rails near the nose. I took some neatsfoot oil (like you use to oil work boots) and drizzled it on the parts where the leather touches the rails. Then I squeezed and massaged the contact area a bit and wiped up the excess oil. I cleaned all the clamp parts and reinstalled the saddle.

After a 2 hour ride, the squeaking has not returned, so I guess problem solved.

Back to the sweet sounds of the breeze, tires on pavement and whirring of gears.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Kristatos said:
I don't ride those saddles anymore but what was always the culprit for me was grit that had worked its way in between the rails and the clamps. I wouldn't recommend greasing the rails - I would clean the rails and the saddle as much as possible, and also clean out the seat post clamp and hardware. Remove all the old grease and if you have a compressor blow-dry and get them sparkly. Then assemble without any grease other than maybe very light grease on the threads of the bolt and go for a ride to see if that worked.
I know the OP solved their problem, but I have experienced the exact same thing. As a matter of fact I just got in from cleaning the rails, clamp, and hardware and there was a good amount of grit. I stopped greasing my seatpost clamp and have been using Triflow with pretty good luck, but my recent ride near the Blue Ridge Parkway on packed gravel roads caused a creak that was driving me nuts.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.