Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I figure this crops up often enough that I'd toss it out in its own thread.

THere's lots of talk hereabouts about creaking bikes. And I got one...

The bike - my new Bob Jackson custom lugged steel. All pretty conventional bits and pieces, lovingly assembled by someone who understands bikes and particularly loves my bikes (me, who else ? ;) )

The bits were all new, mostly stuff I understood, had previously used or came recommended. The only new stuff was the Shimano compact crankset, while the wheels were a set of Ksyriums with about 5K on them and no problems.

After maybe 800 miles, she started creaking when I pulled uphill out of the saddle. Couldn't get it to creak sat down, despite trying hard.

Changed pedals, checked the BB, headset, shoe cleats - all the stuff you read about here.

Finally, after going around the wheels with a fine toothed comb checking for cracks, I stuck my spare front wheel in - Ultegra hub, OP rim. End of creaking! Took her out, tossed her around, no creak at all.

So why?

Ended up, the wheels have different bosses on their axles. The Ulegra has a milled face that contacts the inner face of the dropouts, the Ksyriums have a plain face. That was never an issue on my other bike - a Gunnar with a steel fork. The BJ has, to my eternal shame, got a CF fork with alloy dropouts.

Solution? If you are unsure of which end of a screwdriver is the best to hold - Don't Try This At Home :eek: . I pulled the bosses off the hub spindle - they are held on by on O ring inside the boss's bore, which locks into a matching channel machined into the spindle. Held them in a vice, mating face up and notched them with a triangular rat-tail file to closely match the face of the Ultegra's hub. This seems to have put enough keying surface into the hub to stop the creaking.

If that's too vague - it's late and we're still technically working here - ask, and I'll take a photo of this 'modification'. It certainly works, didn't cost but a little time and didn't take any complex tools.

Hope that helps someone else who's suffering the creaky bike syndrome

Regards

Dereck

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
You have given me a new place to look for a click

My ti frame began making a ticking noise this year, totally silent last year, no changes in equipment. I als do 98% of my mechanicals. I have tried to duplicate the noise in the stand or while going slow and have not been able to track it down. Recently I was moving the front wheel back and forth fully left and right and I would get this tick noise like a cable housing smacking the frame. No housing was touching or even coming close to the frame, I was thinking it was a headset (KING) problem. Now I'm gonna have to check the Speedcific hubs or easier yet throw on a spare front wheel and try that. Thanks IA.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Lone
I never could get much of a creak out of my BJ unless I was riding it. I tried pushing really hard sideways on the BB, but it proved inconclusive.

OTOH, in my least favourite part of cycling - standing up while climbing - it never stopped.

In retrospect, the smooth mounting surface on the Mavic hubs doesn't strike me as being as good engineering as Shimano's knurled faces. Why the Mavics were silent on the Gunnar's steel fork is beyond me - the rear wheel sits in steel dropouts on both my bikes, of course.

Hope my experience helps, good luck tracking your noise down.

Regards

Dereck

·
Premium Member
15,996 Posts
bah, I hate random clicking crap! Good work tracking it down!

Mine was the same sort of deal -- ONLY out of the saddle climbing -- it turned out that the friggin' ferrule I had was .0001% too small, and was sliding about in the cable guide thing. 3 cm of electrical tape = fixed.

The silliest things sometimes...

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
Hmmmm...where cable housings interface....

I had my doubts about the wheel thing. I had greased the dropouts and the noise I was hearing was defininetly with the frame tick. I started looking at where the cable housings go into the bosses. All plastic. Then i looked at the rear brake cable, it is internal routing on my bike, also plastic. But the noise was coming from there when I moved the bars back and forth fully. So i shot it up with lithium grease, wiggled it about some more and made sure I had all the contact points lubed. I think(hope) I got it because the noise I was able to reproduce has stopped.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Funny how something as simple as a bike can produce such grief-laden things as noises wot you can't find.

Thankfully, we can document all those odd noises via the internet, which is much quicker than asking around fellow riders if they've any idea!

D

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Funny how something as simple as a bike can produce such grief-laden things as noises wot you can't find.

Thankfully, we can document all those odd noises via the internet, which is much quicker than asking around fellow riders if they've any idea!

I was out on the BJ today and it started up again part-way around the ride. Then it went away - a much better idea for a noise than me having to look for it :)

D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.