Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This morning twice, my dogs (which think themselves great hunters) cornered a squirrel in the corner of my yard. The second time, I hear the barking and come out to find both dogs and squirrel running around the 2 ft trenches that are around my back porch as I get ready to pour new footers for an addition.

Anyway, get the dogs away, while the squirrel has wedged itself between the dirt pile and the fence, hiding. I try to coax it out, and then leave it, thinking it will realize the danger is gone and come out. Go back and check it 15 minutes later, the bugger is still there. I take the shovel and dig back the dirt to scare it out. [email protected] thing runs into the garage, trying to climb the walls to get up to the rafters. Can't do that. So I open the big garage door, and the squirrel is right next to it. Leave again. Come back in another 10 minutes, still hanging out there. I don't want to have to leave the door open when we go to work, so I take a stick and try to herd the squirrel out the door. Stupid thing hits the floor running in the opposite direction, and buries itself in the cardboard boxes in the back of the garage.

End up setting the no kill trap with peanut butter crackers, hope the thing takes the bait. I don't need a squirrel in my garage, already have enough in my attic.

//No real point (obviously), just killing time at work.

·
here comes trouble
10,045 Posts
Is it wearing a collar? Cause if not, you should get it a collar.

·
Registered
5,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
paint said:
Is it wearing a collar? Cause if not, you should get it a collar.
and what name it Pete?

Do you watch Scrubs? Ever see the one where the janitor has the stuffed squirrel collection?

·
here comes trouble
10,045 Posts
No.

But also, squirrels are cuter with collars. And I really did know someone who found an injured baby squirrel and tamed it. Not as cool as my gramma, who found a baby bobcat and tamed it, but still pretty interesting.

·
Registered
5,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
paint said:
No.

But also, squirrels are cuter with collars. And I really did know someone who found an injured baby squirrel and tamed it. Not as cool as my gramma, who found a baby bobcat and tamed it, but still pretty interesting.
that is cool, the bobcat, not the squirrel. Any tame squirrels would just become dog food in my house.

the funniest thing was watching the squirrel run up and down the trench and the dogs trying to turnaround in it to catch it. (only latest about 5 seconds before calling the dogs off)

·
Bacon!
9,190 Posts
We have squirrel problems every year here. Ground squirrels. Little soil rats. We put nets over our cherry trees to keep the birds out and the squirrels get all tangled in them. Every morning and evening we have to clean out the squirrels. I pitch them over the fence thinking maybe they learned a lesson but a few hours later and I'm pulling them out again.

·
Registered
5,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ridgetop said:
We have squirrel problems every year here. Ground squirrels. Little soil rats. We put nets over our cherry trees to keep the birds out and the squirrels get all tangled in them. Every morning and evening we have to clean out the squirrels. I pitch them over the fence thinking maybe they learned a lesson but a few hours later and I'm pulling them out again.
have to take them at least 5 miles away if you do not want them to come back (or so I have heard) or maybe your neighbor is just pitching them back into your yard when you are not looking.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,415 Posts
They're not stupid. It just wants you to get close. Close enough to go for your eyes. One he blinds you, he'll call for his friends to finish you off. It won't be pretty.........

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
if it is a grey squirrel

and it's diet is from nut trees take a 22 or a pellet gun and hunt that varmint! Nut Fed Gret squirrel is TASTY!!! better than rabbit.

·
Misfit Toy
23,426 Posts
You have stupid squirrels. Squirrels in my neighborhood are brilliant. We had a huge burlap bag full of walnuts in the garage. Our squirrel found a vent with loose screen, went through, and made a hole in the bag. Over the summer he would go in, take a few nuts, bury them, eat them, do whatever squirrels do with nuts. By the end of fall, the bag was empty, and he had progressed to walking into the garage through the door. I swear when we got a new car, he walked up and kicked the tires to check it out. Wasn't afraid of us at all, we named him Red.:eek:

Another neighbor found a baby squirrel, turns out it was blind. He raised it and kept Fluffy as a pet for many years.

·
Registered
5,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
MR_GRUMPY said:
They're not stupid. It just wants you to get close. Close enough to go for your eyes. One he blinds you, he'll call for his friends to finish you off. It won't be pretty.........
grumpy, you have been watching too much Python and the Holy Grail with its killer rabbit of angmor

·
Registered
5,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
atpjunkie said:
and it's diet is from nut trees take a 22 or a pellet gun and hunt that varmint! Nut Fed Gret squirrel is TASTY!!! better than rabbit.
well, that might work, but my wife would not like it much.

·
here comes trouble
10,045 Posts
Yeah well, that's better than torturing squirrels all day like you do.

·
here comes trouble
10,045 Posts
lousylegs said:
hey, hey, hey, i was trying to help the little bugger, not torture it.
Tell it to the judge, lady.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts