Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was lucky enough to find a couple of giant saddles as takeoffs.

They're longer, wider and perhaps most importantly, squishier than the other saddles I tried. It's basically a knockoff of a popular fizik saddle (arione).

My specialized seatpost has two hex bolts for adjustments so the lack of a cutout is a real problem for adjustment.

However, there is so much padding and it is so soft, that I find this saddle the most comfortable out of most any I've tried.

Now the problem is, I feel far less efficient on the road. Actually after the first ride, I took it off immediately since I couldn't stand the bobbing sensation: it has that much compliance. It literally feels like an inefficient suspended bike.

However, after reverting back to other harder saddles and not being able to ride multiple times a week without discomfort, I returned to the long mileage comfort of the giant.

With the giant saddle, I almost never feel like pedaling hard. The saddle just doesn't seem to reward greater effort--it definitely subjectively feels like it's robbing power.

I feel like I have to decide between a firmer more efficient saddle vs a more comfortable but less efficient ride.

Swapping out saddles is not going to work since as I said, the giant saddle lacks the cutout to allow for easy adjustment.

Has anyone else noticed this? I may buy another narrow specialized saddle.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Have you tried any of the fizik Kurves? They have two different settings (hard of soft) based on which of the provided tuning inserts is installed. I went thru most of fizik's entire line, before settling on the Kurve Bull (I need the ramp). I can't comment on the "hard" setting, as the "soft" provided the needed comfort I sought, over the standard Aliante, and haven't felt the need to switch.

Also, if you're "bobbing" too much, you may need to raise your saddle, in order to compensate for the compression in the padding.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sounds like an interesting concept, but at $200, I'll have to pass.

My saddle is about as high as I want to set it.

I think I may retry the narrower specialized saddle and go with more heavily padded shorts to compensate. Or, try a thinly padded pair of shorts with the giant saddle.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
I do not really have comfort issues that much with bike seats. I did a sit bone test once so that I would know what width to purchase. Anyway 145mm wide is good for me. I like to move around on the seat and to ride in and out of the saddle. A squishy saddle would not be good at all for that. Currently I have a Sella Italia Flite saddle ($175.00). It is very firm saddle and I like it.

I imagine that the rubber seat made by Brooks would be very comfortable for the tender bottom sort of person. Long rides and such should be fine.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Sounds like an interesting concept, but at $200, I'll have to pass.

My saddle is about as high as I want to set it.

I think I may retry the narrower specialized saddle and go with more heavily padded shorts to compensate. Or, try a thinly padded pair of shorts with the giant saddle.
Keep an eye on pricing...they often go on sale. I just bought a pair of replacements for $137/ea.

Either way, good luck.

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
If you need substantial padding on your saddle or in your shorts so you can ride multiple times a week, you almost certainly have a fit issue. You're doctoring around on symptoms, but need to find the cause. I'm ruling out a medical issue and the beginner's typical tender tush.

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
If you need substantial padding on your saddle or in your shorts so you can ride multiple times a week, you almost certainly have a fit issue. You're doctoring around on symptoms, but need to find the cause. I'm ruling out a medical issue and the beginner's typical tender tush.
+1 on this. A "squishy" (=heavily padded) saddle is always a bad idea, given proper fit. Yes, it will also cost a bit of power, although that should be a (very) minor side effect. Much more importantly, such a saddle will put pressure on soft tissues, which is absolutely not a good thing. Out of curiosity, what distances or saddle times are we talking about here? So, yes, the answer is to get a firm saddle and a proper fit. With the right fit and saddle, only a small area around your sitbones is supposed to carry any significant load. It may still take you a bit of time to get used to it, but in the long run this is the only way to go.

·
Never Give Up!
1,241 Posts
I find the softer the saddle (more padding) the worst they are, over distance your body weight, the padding in the shorts and saddle begin to be counterintuitive with each other and discomfort sets in.

the harder the saddle (less) padding to no padding (full carbon) the better. the padding from the shorts keep the soft tissue protected and raised off the saddle.... just my two cent.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts