Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Baltic Scum
1,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do Super Record cranks/bbs have the same taper as the pre-UltraTorque ones? In other words, would I be able to use a regular ol' Chorus tapered bb with SR cranks?

·
angel of the morning
2,992 Posts
seeborough said:
Do Super Record cranks/bbs have the same taper as the pre-UltraTorque ones? In other words, would I be able to use a regular ol' Chorus tapered bb with SR cranks?
They have the same tapers but keep in mind older super record crank were offset or asymetrical on the drive side. you may have a clearance issue on the drive side but I have done such for running a single chainring (fixed gear style) for a better chainline. YMMV

·
Baltic Scum
1,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Spirito said:
They have the same tapers but keep in mind older super record crank were offset or asymetrical on the drive side. you may have a clearance issue on the drive side but I have done such for running a single chainring (fixed gear style) for a better chainline. YMMV
Does anyone nowadays make sealed units that meet SR specs? From a quick google check, it appears that some NOS Phil Woods are available at various places at $150. I am not sure about these being sealed, though. (That's not even to mention original NOS SR bottom brackets at $300-400 - my limit is reached here...)

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,573 Posts
Same taper, but the Chorus BB is way too short.
Chorus was 102mm. SR was around 113-115, or somewhere around that. I'm sure that you can find the correct length on the interwebs.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.