Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anybody here recently ride up SR39 (san gabriel canyon road) to ACH? i know the road is closed to all public access from just pass the crystal lake turnoff but wanted to know if it was still easily passable by bike. i'm planning on cruising up SR39 all the way to dawsons saddle later this week. thanks.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I have heard it is fine shape, but it has been almost two years since I rode up to Crystal Lake. There is a rumor floating around that CalTrans may reopen the road to Crystal Lake this summer.

·
HSBIKES.COM
99 Posts
I was up there about 4 months ago. The yellow closed gate is about 2 miles past the West Fork turn just past the OHV area. I dont know if they have opened it up further up the road. The last 2 miles before the hwy. 2 had lots of rubble/debris but totally rideable with creative lines. Still had snow on the ground when I was up there but should be clear now. I hope it stays closed,nice having 8 miles to yourself to just climb on.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yah i rode up on saturday to dawson saddle. great road conditions all the way up... lots of rocks from past the crystal lake turnoff and on ACH to the saddle, but nothing that you can ride through easily. still snow banks on the side. just perfect... but yes, its getting hotter now every day into spring.

·
HSBIKES.COM
99 Posts
No hassle going around the gate.Its another 8 miles or so up to HWY.2. I heard they were getting ready to open the gate to traffic but cant find any info to back that up.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts