Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Banned
14,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
a real treat. After you use your full body weight to pull the thing up, how likely is it you'll ever get it apart again?

· Banned
14,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you mean you're not supposed to be able to take the chain apart with the Powerlink,doesn't that kind of defeat the purpose? The great charm of the Powerlink was, you could snap it apart no sweat to clean the chain, or whatever.

Qstick333 said:
It is not reusable............

· Registered
579 Posts
shouldn't be considered a "Powerlink"...technically, it's not reusable. it can be reused, though, if you must, and i doubt a shop would reuse one. i won't let a bike leave my stand with a reused link. the whole removing of a chain though...why, unless you ride through some serious sand? use a good chain lube and your chain should stay clean.

· Banned
14,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't even re-use the 'real' 8 and 9 speed Powerlinks. I always use a new one, on the admittedly rare occasion I have to break a chain. I can't imagine re-using a 10-speed link in any event, because I can't imaginew snapping it apart. [
]
quote=the Inbred]shouldn't be considered a "Powerlink"...technically, it's not reusable. it can be reused, though, if you must, and i doubt a shop would reuse one. i won't let a bike leave my stand with a reused link. the whole removing of a chain though...why, unless you ride through some serious sand? use a good chain lube and your chain should stay clean.[/quote]

· Registered
1,536 Posts
I recently bought a SRAM chain after complaining to the LBS about having to buy those stupid little pins at $2 for my Shitmano chain, so he sells me a SRAM, then I found out it's even worse, now I have to buy the whole link at $4!

· I've felt the Felt
42 Posts
Not so fast...

there is the 10s wipperman connex. I do believe it is the only re-useable link for 10S chains. I've used them for two years now. I do frequently remove my chain for cleaning as I stretch them out inordinately fast and my chain gets really dirty really quickly- something about the dirty roads where I ride- when I get home I have enough topsoil for a garden on my shins.

Try the wipperman. I've found it does not affect shifting, does not stretch faster than the chain (SRAM Hollowpin or Dura Ace), it is extremely easy to use, and unparalleled in convenience.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.