Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed a new SRAM 10 speed chain using the powerlink. I cut the chain too long and need to take a link out. I presume that I should cut opposite the side of the existing powerlink and just use another one. Is there realistically any limit to the number of powerlinks that can be safely used?

· Registered
10,161 Posts
info...

With the right pair of pliers, you can squeeze the rollers together and remove the powerloc. Park Tool sells them, but I've also made some by grinding down some needle nose pliers. You can probably reuse the link a time or two, as long as it snaps together with some resistance. Yes, I know SRAM says not to.

· Registered
2,177 Posts
sram chain

I too went too long on the chain. I could NOT, for the life of me, remove the powerlink. So now I have two of them right next to each other.
Compared to the Ultegra and DA chains I've ridden in the past, I'm not a big fan of the sram 1090 chain. I clean/lube it every week, and if its not dripping in lube, it'll make noise.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.