Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Also got to play with the shifters yesterday. Quite an interesting concept and seemed to work well. However, there was no shift housing to gum up the works. We were told that it is completely rebuildable.

Very nice shape to the shifters.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Be glad when they do!

Just fitted my first 10 speed drivetrain this week and along with it, my first pinned chain for a long while - have been using SRAM chains on my 9 speeds since getting back into riding four years ago.

Not impressed by messing with pushing Shimano's pin with its little break-off guide through a set of links and side-plates - want to get back to my SRAM snap-on link!

Any other suggestions for a Shimano compatible 10 speed chain with disconnectable link?

Regards

Dereck

·
Registered
7,934 Posts
KMC makes the X10, X10 SL or X10 SL GOLD

KMC makes chains for Shimano and their missing link is basically same as the SRAM Powerlink.

I got 975 miles on a X10 SL GOLD on a Campy drivetrain with NO issues...

·
tofurkey hunting
4,733 Posts
TDino said:
Also got to play with the shifters yesterday. Quite an interesting concept and seemed to work well. However, there was no shift housing to gum up the works. We were told that it is completely rebuildable.

Very nice shape to the shifters.
that sounds like fun. maybe i'm just slow, but how exactly do those shifters work? double-tap technology... :confused: okay, shimano has two levers. campy has the lever and the thumb shifter. just how are these things working? again, sorry if i'm just slow, but i'm curious.

thanks

·
Registered
15 Posts
Connex link

You can use the Wipperman Connex 10 speed link with the Shimano 10 chain. If you do a search, you'll find plenty of discussion about this in the past year or so.

·
Registered
11 Posts
ampastoral said:
that sounds like fun. maybe i'm just slow, but how exactly do those shifters work? double-tap technology... :confused: okay, shimano has two levers. campy has the lever and the thumb shifter. just how are these things working? again, sorry if i'm just slow, but i'm curious.

thanks
This is a clearer explanation than I can give.
http://www.roadbikerider.com/sram.htm

Yes, unfortunately the SRAM rep said that the cable pull for the Rear Derailleur is 1:1, sooo no Campy or Shimano RD mixing. The SRAM road RD is a slightly different design than their mountain stuff, so you can't run an X series RD.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Nice chainrings. Spendy, for sure, but how do you think they'll hold up?

For a cheap alternative, IRD makes a 10s chain. I got a bunch through my team for $13/per. I think retail is $20. They're Campy-spaced, but I think they make a Shimano version, too. (Still, despite what they tell you, I've used DA10 chains on Campy for a year now - they're actually quiter than the C10 model!)

IRD's 10s quick-link is IDENTICAL to the tried-n-true Sram/Sachs model. I, for one, don't like the Wipperman links. Even installed in the right direction, they seem to add just a little bit of drivetrain noise. Install them in the wrong direction, and you're asking for trouble...

·
Registered
7,934 Posts
The rigs are BOONE Titanium and did not cost my a thing...

except for banner space :D.
http://www.booneti.com/cr/cr.html

Guys have been using these on thier MTBs for years and have almost now wear. They should last 5+ years!

They will also re-finish the rings yearly for free. Yes they are not cheap, but will alst 2-3x as longs as Aluminum rings.

Now with pins, they shift great!!!

·
Registered
127 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts