Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to plunk down some cash on a new group, probably Sram Force. I have been riding Campy 10 speed for a while, and have a friend that has Campy 11...he says it needs adjustment more frequently to maintain the shifting.

Is this true for Sram as well? Does the 11 (22) speed Force group shift as reliably and consistently as the 10 speed? Wondering if I'm better off hunting around for 10 speed than jumping into the 11 speed stuff.

THANKS

·
Registered
3,935 Posts
Interesting on the Campy adjustment need observation, could be the mechanic ya know......

I certainly haven't experienced that on Shimano 11 speed vs 10. I don't mind using a 10 speed system on a lower end build if I can find a nice one used (infact I'm planning on a used 10speed 105 for my 11 year olds son's next size up cross bike build), but wouldn't try to find one for a bike I would use regularly. 10 speed systems will get harder and harder to find parts for going forward and the closer ratios and nicer improved shifting of most any 11speed system are big pluses IMHO.

·
Registered
9,658 Posts
It's a bad idea.

I don't know about Campy so can't say your friend is wrong (I can say for sure that's wrong about Shimano 10 v 11) but even if he is correct.....how much of a 'problem' is turning a knob 1/2 of turn?

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
.....how much of a 'problem' is turning a knob 1/2 of turn?
It's a bit more complicated then that. How do you decide which way, how far, too far, not enough...? As things go it is pretty simple, but it seems beyond a fair number of the riders I know.

That said, in my experience (Shimano and SRAM), 11 speed is no more difficult or problematic than 10 speed, and in some senses 11 can better as the newer designs have been refined.

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,563 Posts
You have to take so many things into account when getting 'advice' from a friend about drivetrain performance. I see so much at the shop...from people that really take good care of their bikes all the way to people that literally don't even know they're supposed to lube their chain...or ever replace cables/housing. I always tell people to take any advice like this w/ a LOT of skepticism. Just because their friend 'rides a lot' doesn't mean they actually know anything.

·
Registered
518 Posts
I can't say how SRAM 11 speed is, but the Campag 11 spd drivetrains on my 3 bikes never needs adjustment. All of them were setup at the last service and I don't need to touch the adjustment again until the next time I overhaul them. My most used Campag bike has almost 5,000 miles on it over 2 seasons and the derailleurs have never been touched since the bike was built.

·
15,563 Posts
I can't say how SRAM 11 speed is, but the Campag 11 spd drivetrains on my 3 bikes never needs adjustment. All of them were setup at the last service and I don't need to touch the adjustment again until the next time I overhaul them. My most used Campag bike has almost 5,000 miles on it over 2 seasons and the derailleurs have never been touched since the bike was built.
^This^ for everything currently available. It ALL works great. If it it doesn't it's not because it has one name on it instead of another. Anyone that says 'xyz' doesn't work well because it's 'xyz' is clueless.

·
Registered
21,636 Posts
have a friend that has Campy 11...he says it needs adjustment more frequently to maintain the shifting.
If this has been your friend's experience then he needs to learn how to properly set up a drivetrain. Two years on Campy 11s and close to 20K miles - it doesn't need adjustment after you get it set up. I expect Shimano and SRAM are similar.

One thing that your friend might be experiencing is that sometimes the downtube/head tube barrel adjusters (not the one on the rear derailleur) have a "windup" issue. If the springs are not lubricated when the adjuster is installed, you can experience the barrel returning to its original position after you twist it to get the right adjustment. I experienced this issue on my wife's bike (Campy 10s) - her derailleur would go out of adjustment after about 50 miles of riding. I finally put a mark on the barrel with a Sharpie and sure enough, it would return to a previous position because turning the barrel meant winding up the spring that held the barrel in place. A little grease on the spring where it contacted the barrel and the frame fixed the problem.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Great tip Kerry, these are the little tricks most people would never think of.

·
Registered
7,492 Posts
and have a friend that has Campy 11...he says it needs adjustment more frequently to maintain the shifting.
Sad that this [email protected] has to be posted.

I built my friends bike up with Chorus 2 years ago, and the setup hasn't been touched since, and it's still spot on.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sad that this [email protected] has to be posted.
Appreciate the feedback, but honestly, this is his experience. Not sure how it's any more "[email protected]" than anyone else's experience, even if the experience is different. He's a decent mechanic, certainly qualified enough to turn a barrel adjuster. We've ridden and worked on bikes together for years.

Nonetheless, good to know that others have not had a similar experience...certainly something I'll keep in mind when shopping for a new group--thanks.

·
15,563 Posts
Appreciate the feedback, but honestly, this is his experience. Not sure how it's any more "[email protected]" than anyone else's experience, even if the experience is different. He's a decent mechanic, certainly qualified enough to turn a barrel adjuster. We've ridden and worked on bikes together for years.

Nonetheless, good to know that others have not had a similar experience...certainly something I'll keep in mind when shopping for a new group--thanks.
Yes, it's 'his' experience, but it's due to his inability to set his bike up properly that he's having it. So it's not a fault of the components, it's operator error. I don't even understand why anyone would ask if 'xyz' works these days. It should be obvious that all 3 brands have worked fine for thousands and thousands of riders. If there is an issue it's because of human error not mechanical in 99.9% of the cases. You and he may think he's a good mechanic but I see bikes every day that were worked on by seemingly 'good' mechanics. I should say I repair bikes every day that were last worked on by good mechanics.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Yes, it's 'his' experience, but it's due to his inability to set his bike up properly that he's having it. So it's not a fault of the components, it's operator error. I don't even understand why anyone would ask if 'xyz' works these days. It should be obvious that all 3 brands have worked fine for thousands and thousands of riders. If there is an issue it's because of human error not mechanical in 99.9% of the cases. You and he may think he's a good mechanic but I see bikes every day that were worked on by seemingly 'good' mechanics. I should say I repair bikes every day that were last worked on by good mechanics.
Value you the feedback--thanks.

I've ridden/wrenced on Shimano and Campy bikes from 6 speed up to 10. I'm sure you have too--anyone that has knows that the margin for error for derailleur adjustments (or mis-adjustments) goes up incrementally as you cram more cogs in the back. Just curious to know if others have experienced any change in going from 10 to 11. Not sure why that's an odd question. I've read more than one post of people sending Sram stuff back under warranty because the shifters were erratic. Rare? Maybe. Does it happen, apparently.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
The important takeaway here is, just because one person had or is having trouble with one bike with one brand of 11 speed equipment, doesn't warrant a generalization that all 11 speed setups are more fiddly. It kind of fails the logic test. If there were hundreds, or thousands of anecdotal claims of issues with 11 speed setup and stability, that would be different.

Your friend may have a sticky cable, or a worn or broken spring, or a dirty shifter, or a bent derailleur hangar, or poorly run cable alignment, or have some other issue causing his problems. None of these would apply to you or your bike.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts