Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Roadpals:

Age old problem of gearing. My sister in law now wants to change from her hybrid to a road bike. Trouble is, she really needs low mountain bike type gearing where we live. Considering going with a SOMA Smoothie frame. I think the mountain gearing using a SRAM 2x10 system, with say a 42-28 on the front, and an 11-32 or 11-34 on the back would be great. But that is a mountain bike system. Will the SRAM road double tap shifters work with this? She could have Apex or Rival shifters. Thoughts here?

·
9,790 Posts
Roadpals:

Age old problem of gearing. My sister in law now wants to change from her hybrid to a road bike. Trouble is, she really needs low mountain bike type gearing where we live. Considering going with a SOMA Smoothie frame. I think the mountain gearing using a SRAM 2x10 system, with say a 42-28 on the front, and an 11-32 or 11-34 on the back would be great. But that is a mountain bike system. Will the SRAM road double tap shifters work with this? She could have Apex or Rival shifters. Thoughts here?
SRAM has road cassettes and derailleurs for 11-32 - it's called WiFli and is available for Apex or Rival. As for the front, you'll probably need to use a MTB 2x10 derailleur and crank.

·
9,790 Posts
The problem is, I think the mountain bike front derailer does not work with the road style shifters.
Why wouldn't it?

If you're really worried about it, use the road one. They use them for cyclocross, which is 46/38.

I would really think twice about the 42/28 though... I'm an out shape fat man and I was able to ride in Wyoming on a compact 50/34 with an 11-32 9 speed setup just fine.

·
Rub it............
3,833 Posts
You can always go with the 50/34 compact up front, use the road FD and shifters, throw on a MTB long cage 10 speed rear derailleur and an 11-36 cassette on the back if she needs the lower gears for climbing.

·
rebounder
572 Posts
Why wouldn't it [work]?
dont you own a bike shop?

Shimano fronts use a different amount of cable pull for drop-bar vs flat-bar controls.

SRAM 1:1 mtb derailleurs (front or rear) and the SRAM road groups are also not compatible.

the gospel of sheldon:
An additional complication is that "road" front derailer cages are shaped to fit well with a 52-53 tooth big chainring, while most current "mountain" front cages are shaped to fit with a 42-44 tooth big ring.

This makes it difficult if you want to use a "road" crankset, with full-sized chainrings (52, 53 top) with straight handlebars, or if you want to use a "mountain" crankset (42-48 tooth top) with drop-bar STI shifters.

·
Man, I'm Awesome
2,175 Posts
The problem is, I think the mountain bike front derailer does not work with the road style shifters.
Just get a road derailer in front. Your derailers don't have to match. I can tell you a Shimano STI shifter will not shift an XT front derailer properly for a triple, but would work fine for a compact double.

·
9,790 Posts
You can always go with the 50/34 compact up front, use the road FD and shifters, throw on a MTB long cage 10 speed rear derailleur and an 11-36 cassette on the back if she needs the lower gears for climbing.

One caveat... If you use the 11-36 cassette, make sure you are NOT using a Shimano hub. Shimano hubs can't handle it. I know a 29'er MTB with Shimano hubs will last about 5 miles of riding with climbs before the freehub body guts explodes (customer, not me). That's why Shimano came out with a hub specifically for 36t cassettes.

·
9,790 Posts
dont you own a bike shop?
I do.

Shimano fronts use a different amount of cable pull for drop-bar vs flat-bar controls.
And yet, people have been using MTB front derailleurs with STI shifters for years.

SRAM 1:1 mtb derailleurs (front or rear) and the SRAM road groups are also not compatible.
Funny that it works then, eh?

the gospel of sheldon:
An additional complication is that "road" front derailer cages are shaped to fit well with a 52-53 tooth big chainring, while most current "mountain" front cages are shaped to fit with a 42-44 tooth big ring.

This makes it difficult if you want to use a "road" crankset, with full-sized chainrings (52, 53 top) with straight handlebars, or if you want to use a "mountain" crankset (42-48 tooth top) with drop-bar STI shifters.
Sounds familiar. Like I said something similar previously. However.... SRAM says their road front derailleurs will work with a 46 tooth front ring, which is what I was trying to push the OP to consider.

·
Rub it............
3,833 Posts

Actually the Sram 10 speed MTB derailleurs (rear) are 100% compatible with SRAM road groups. Both utilize the 1:1 Exact Actuation ratio. This combo has even been used in pro tour races during the mountain stages.

I have not seen/setup the Sram mountain FD's with road shifters. But if Platy says it works, I would trust what he says.

Platy

I'm aware of the Shimano hub issue. All the new model of mountain hubs that Shimano has put out have been re-designed to handle the 36T cogs. I know that manufacturers are spec'ing 30t Tiagra cassettes on Shimano road hubs now, so that might be the limit there.

·
rebounder
572 Posts
sram 10 speed stuff is NOT 1:1. it is "exact actuation." what i said is true. SRAM 1:1 mtb derailleurs (front or rear) and the SRAM road groups (exact actuation) are not compatible.

here is a list of 1:1 parts

here is a list of exact actuation parts.

pick your parts from the same lists and youll be fine.

to be fair, the OP was talking about 10 speed. there are no 1:1 10 speed derailleurs. there are, however, 9 speed derailleurs with the same name as 10 speed (i.e. 9 speed x.0 and 10 speed x.0). this is what the OP needs to be aware of.

platy. a bike is not a uranium centrifuge. there are infinite ways to combine parts not designed to go together. will it be RIGHT? no. will it work well enough for some? depends on how good your setup is and how good you are at troubleshooting. but, for many without experience, setting up frankendrivetrains can be a headache, and sometimes and expensive one.

·
9,790 Posts
sram 10 speed stuff is NOT 1:1. it is "exact actuation." what i said is true. SRAM 1:1 mtb derailleurs (front or rear) and the SRAM road groups are not compatible.

here is a list of 1:1 parts

here is a list of exact actuation parts.

to be fair, the OP was talking about 10 speed. there are no 1:1 10 speed derailleurs. there are, however, 9 speed derailleurs with the same name as 10 speed (i.e. 9 speed x.0 and 10 speed x.0). this is what the OP needs to be aware of.
So you've just proven yourself wrong. Road and mountain are both exact actuation for 10 speed. Ergo, road and mountain are interchageable.

·
rebounder
572 Posts
So you've just proven yourself wrong. Road and mountain are both exact actuation for 10 speed. Ergo, road and mountain are interchageable.
SRAM 1:1 mtb derailleurs (front or rear) and the SRAM road groups are not compatible.
SRAM 1:1 mtb derailleurs (front or rear) and the SRAM road groups are not compatible.

true every time i say it

·
9,790 Posts

true every time i say it
Except what you were saying was bogus. If all 10 speed derailleurs are Exact Actuation, then you were essentially saying that 9 speed MTB derailleurs (1:1 MTB derailleurs) won't work with SRAM Road shifters...which is a big "Duh!" 10 speed needs 10 speed, no matter what the situation.

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,669 Posts

true every time i say it
read this, copied and pasted directly from the link you so thoughtfully provided...

When we launched our road technology from scratch we reapplied our MTB proven SRAM 1:1 actuation ratio (shifter cable travel : derailleur movement) for 10 speed rear shifting. EA helps to simplify/stabilize the uneasy act of balancing rear derailleur hanger design, tight cog spacing and exact cable tension. The result: the easiest index shifting system to set up and it stays that way.

obviously as Platy posted, 10spd needs to be used w/ 10spd for it to work.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.