Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Came across a guy yesterday. Started talking about chains, he said he was riding sram 9 speed chain on his campy 10 speed drivertrain. Anybody else heard of this? Says it works fine the last 2 years. Anybody think the sram9 will work on Shimano10?

· No team-cest unless 8+!
7,287 Posts
supertour1976 said:
Came across a guy yesterday. Started talking about chains, he said he was riding sram 9 speed chain on his campy 10 speed drivertrain. Anybody else heard of this? Says it works fine the last 2 years. Anybody think the sram9 will work on Shimano10?

he lies.

· Registered
413 Posts
Not Sure about Shimano but with Campy No Problem

supertour1976 said:
I've been using 9sp chains on my Campy 10 drive train for 3 years plus and it works flawlessly. The spacing between the cogs in a Shimano 10sp cassette is a tiny bit narrower than Campy's. It's been a while since I've used SRAM chains all I remember is that the PC-59 was 7.1mm wide and as I recall that was their cheapest 9sp chain at the time. Conservatively I'd say there was about 7.6mm of cog space for which the chain has to travel through. I'd guess that the expensive SRAM 9sp chains are anywhere from 6.6mm to 6.9mm wide. Any wider will be harder to dial in perfectly. For me, I'd go with the KMC 9sp chain as they are a measured 6.6 mm wide. :)

· Registered
228 Posts
SRAM had one model, I believe it was the PC-89R, that was as narrow as the 10-speed chains. It worked very well with Campy 10-speed. This chain was narrower than the other SRAM 9-speed chains.

· Registered
213 Posts
HeronTodd said:
SRAM had one model, I believe it was the PC-89R, that was as narrow as the 10-speed chains. It worked very well with Campy 10-speed. This chain was narrower than the other SRAM 9-speed chains.
I am running pc89r on campag 10 speed without a problem

· Doesn't like subtitles
3,953 Posts
Most shimano 9 speed chains work well on campy 10 speed because of sizing as outlined above. I wouldn't expect an SRAM 9 speed chain to work very well on Shimano 10 speed. I currently use 9 speed shimano cassette with a wipperman 10 speed chain and Campy 10 speed drive train, no problems. The campy group came on a frame I bought and I wasn't ready to upgrade yet.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.