Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Darling of The Lounge
4,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The SRAM Apex group I purchase finally arrived today. My plan is to replace the current Shimano 9-speed triple setup with the new components on my trusty Jamis Quest steel bike. Overall the quality appears very good. I like the solid feel on the metal shifters in my hand compared to Force and Red groups on my other two bikes.

My intention is to perform the installation myself short of the crankset, since I don’t the tools to switch the bottom bracket cups. I hope to have everything put together by this weekend. Once I’ve put a few miles on the new Apex, I’ll post my overall impression on the how it performs.

The leap is now complete. My entire road bike stable has switched over from Shimano to SRAM.

·
Registered
5,061 Posts
Retro Grouch said:
The leap is now complete. My entire road bike stable has switched over from Shimano to SRAM.
:cryin: I can't go SRAM. I'm a crappy spinning climber and need my triple. I have yet to see an SRAM triple. I love their mtb stuff.

·
Registered
4,683 Posts
Dutch77 said:
Nice!

Looking forward to reading a real world review on these.
+1, it will be good to hear from one of our own.

Thanks for the update Retro :thumbsup:

·
Registered
363 Posts
ziscwg said:
:cryin: I can't go SRAM. I'm a crappy spinning climber and need my triple. I have yet to see an SRAM triple. I love their mtb stuff.
Compare the 34/32 low gear of Apex with whatever you're running now. They might not be so far off.

The SRAM family of cassettes are just plain awesome, from the power dome to XX to apex...

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Dutch77 said:
Nice!

Looking forward to reading a real world review on these.

I think you will be very happy to read those reviews

We have built several bikes with this group and sent to magazines for testing.

We are all very excited by how nice this group is at a low price AND love the idea of a wide gear range on a 20-speed.

This group is well thought out and works great.

·
Registered
403 Posts
bikesdirect said:
I think you will be very happy to read those reviews

We have built several bikes with this group and sent to magazines for testing.

We are all very excited by how nice this group is at a low price AND love the idea of a wide gear range on a 20-speed.

This group is well thought out and works great.
Thanks for the info Mike! Can I ask what magazines? I'd love to read some initial reviews...

·
Registered
36 Posts
Triple?

Compare the range of gear ratios on a 50/34 with a 11-28 or 11-32 cassette. I'm too lazy to do it myself right now, but I'm pretty sure an 11/32 will give you higher and lower gears than a standard triple. Can't imagine why you would want to keep a triple if there was any way to get rid of it. I think they're awful (heavy, clunky shifting, redundant gears, etc).

·
Moderatus Puisne
15,883 Posts
Triples

Touring bikes with 9-speed triples and barcons are totally the way to go.

But, for everyone else, I challenge you to ride a 34-34 and then need a triple.

And, op -- Srsly, get a BB tool, they are less than 10 bucks! And, IME, those GXP BB's are a one-a-season deal.

·
Registered
320 Posts
mendo said:
Compare the 34/32 low gear of Apex with whatever you're running now. They might not be so far off.

The SRAM family of cassettes are just plain awesome, from the power dome to XX to apex...
I have a compact 50/34 with a 11/30 cassette, 10 SP (customized, gave up the 16T cog) AND a triple with a 11/28, 10 SP cassette. I ride on very hilly terrain. I ride both bikes depending on how i feel and what I want to do. One is not better than the other, they ARE different. The compact gives me about the same gears, in theory, but the triple allows for more "spinning" gears without changing the front ring as often. In general, I'd say the triple allows me a "smoother" ride with very subtly gear changes and less knee strain. The compact is more "coarse" and makes me shift the front ring more often. I ride the compact on shorter, faster rides but ride the triple on long rides (40 mile+) and routes that I'm not very familiar with. I actually like them both
I don't buy the "compact is better than triple" story...
The triple requires a little more tender loving care to clean the front rings and keep the FD tuned but that's part of the fun!
Both bikes are carbon frames and weigh about the same depending on how many/size bottles I carry...:D

·
Registered
4,683 Posts
Argentius said:
And, op -- Srsly, get a BB tool, they are less than 10 bucks! And, IME, those GXP BB's are a one-a-season deal.
Seriously, they still suck that bad? I had an older Truvativ that was ready to kick over after 3k miles, but I was hoping SRAM would have improved their BBs by now. I take it Rival gruppos and better aren't GXP?

·
Darling of The Lounge
4,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
As promised, here are a few comments and ride report on the new SRAM Apex group installed on my Jamis Quest.

The installation went well with no major hang ups. This is my third SRAM build, having installed Force and Red components on my other two bikes. As other have stated, SRAM group at times are a bit finicky to tune for the first time. The Apex group was no exception. I had a little trouble dialing in the rear derailleur at each end of the cassette. But once I had it satisfactorily tuned, it shifted through the gears very well.

My inaugural ride on Apex was journey out to Jalama Beach and back on the Pacific Coast.

The route is hilly and gave me an opportunity to use the entire gear range. Shifting under load was very SRAM like. Shifts were solid with a tactile feel. When I hit the incline, I dropped to the small front ring and shifted to the lower gear rear. Unfortunately, it had trouble staying in the 32 rear sprocket as it kept dropping off. However, I was able to correct the problem with some turns of the downtube barrel adjuster.

On the descents, the Apex’s brakes performed great. The modulation was excellent and the SwissStop pads bleed off speed without so much as a squeal.

I’m overall very pleased on how Apex performed and don’t really regret replacing my old nine-speed Shimano 105 triple group. I’m looking forward to putting more miles on the group.

·
Registered
96 Posts
maybe none of my business but.. how does this group compare price wise say.. to Tiagra?? im thinking about geting back into road after a 2 year ( felt longer) only mtb and bikes in that price range (tiagra) are where id look.. i must admit the \gear range with a compact or regular double really interests me.. but if the price is closer to 105-ultegra.. i might be outta luck for the next steed which may be purchased coming spring (in case such a groupo is available stock ;) )

·
Banned
1,317 Posts
Anyone have the official weight on the Apex Groupset? Hows it compare with Rivals?

I assume that it should feel/shift the exact same as Rivals, correct?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts