Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ben Jaques-Maynes appears to be testing SRAM's rival groupset here -- at least, his shifters have aluminum blades.

However, Jackson Stewart doesn't seem to have gotten SRAM yet at all -- he's still on Dura-ace.

I wonder when SRAM is going to be able to supply the whole team?

·
Registered
400 Posts
Back in March, a group of us were riding along Foothill when Ben rode up behind us. One of the guys knew him and started asking about the bike and the SRAM shifters. He said that he liked him because, for him, the shifters worked very much like his Campy stuff.
Jackson has one setup on his race bike but his training bike is still Dura Ace...at least, that's what his dad told me.

·
your text here
13,203 Posts
help me out here. why would he race on Rival when Force is already out there for them? isn't this like racing on the new ultegra when dura ace is out already?

plus, i think it would be hard to train on one shifting setup and race on another. but i guess that's why he's a pro.

·
limit screwed
807 Posts
He was already using Force earlier this year; perhaps the bike with Rival is his secondary bike, or he likes shiny bits. The internals of the Force and Rival groups are, from everything I've heard, the same.

·
Not Banned
49,249 Posts
like most Continental Pros

their backup bikes aren't a swanked out. He's also a tester for SRAM so he could be testing or being used as low level advertising. "Our Rival gear is good enough for the Pros...."
You'd be suprised how many Continental Pros have bits of Ultegra, Chorus etc... on their #2 and even #1 bikes. Genevieve Jeanson's #1 bike (pre bust when she was considered the best woman cyclist in the world) was Chorus equipped.

·
Premium Member
15,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, that was why I was curious about his gear, as I know Jaques-Maynes is one of SRAM's testers; are they putting the finishing touches on Rival for its release, or what?

I'm curious to see what this thing works like, but I'm not going to jump on and buy it first day it shows up.

·
your text here
13,203 Posts
i was wonderin about the whole testing/marketing thing. glad to see i wasnt off base.

regardless, lots of roadie geeks (like me) have been following the development/release of the SRAM road groups. would be nice to try one, but i dont have any clout in that area at all. i just hope this brings the price of the other two companies down a bit.

·
Registered
400 Posts
weltyed said:
help me out here. why would he race on Rival when Force is already out there for them? isn't this like racing on the new ultegra when dura ace is out already?

plus, i think it would be hard to train on one shifting setup and race on another. but i guess that's why he's a pro.
After emailing Jackson's dad, he said that Jackson definitely was riding his training bike and suspects that Ben J-M was, too. His dad also said that Jackson doesn't have a problem going back and forth between his race bike and his training bike. Finally, he told me that the team usually keeps the race bike whereas Jackson is only allowed to have the training bike. So, when he flys out to a big event, the team bring his race bike to the race so Jackson doesn't have bring his training bike. Don't ask me why but that's how Kodak/Sierra Nevada runs things...

·
No team-cest unless 8+!
7,287 Posts
weltyed said:

Hmm... If he's a tester for SRAM, I would assume that means he is a tester for SRAM. So regardless of what group he's riding, he's testing SRAM components. Maybe they just wanted some feedback on their second tier group.

SRAM claims to have the exact same mechanism in the shifters. Its just a material difference (carbon vs. alu for the levers, ti/mg for internals vs. alu or whatever they use...). I would guess that makes them shift really similar to another.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I am curious if the SRAM shifters are rebuildable like Campy or if you have to replace the whole shifter like Shimano.

I am sure it is going to be good equipment and I might be inclined to have a bike fitted with SRAM in the near future as the brake hoods seem to more closely resemble campy (which is more comfortable for me) than Shimano shifters.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Rebuildable...

Yes...the new SRAM shifters are completely rebuildable. In fact you only have to undo 3 bolts I believe and the whole mechanism comes out of its shell. This is where SRAM will get people to convert since it really takes the best of both Shimano and Campy.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Great. thanks for the info. I heard that if you are used to using Campy, the right hand shifter is very easy to convert to for changing up or down sprockets in the back. I have heard that the front takes a bit of muscle retraining to get the knack of micro adjusting the derailur, but like anything, I am sure it wouldn't take long to get the hang of it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.