Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ha anyone else encountered this?

I went to put a SRAM 12-27 cassette on the new shimano 6700 hubs I just built up, and found the cassette lock ring bottoms out before locking the cogs in tight. A 11-26 SRAM cassette works fine. Visual inspection shows the lock rings are a different depth in the threads. Is there a shorter 12 tooth lock ring that SRAM makes?

FYI I don't want to go with the option of putting a spacer behind the cassette as I want to be able switch wheels without readjusting the rear mech.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
In my relatively limited experience, the locking ring should bottom out against the edge of the freehub with no cassette installed. Take it off and put the cassette on it it should stick out slightly beyond the end of the freehub so that the locking ring then bottoms out against the cassette. In your case, is the threaded portion of the locking ring so long and/or the depth of the threads inside the freehub so short (or something else interferes with the locking ring) so that the first condition is not met?

·
Registered
21 Posts
I think the 11T needs an 11T lockring and the 12T needs a 12T lockring. Not sure how they are different, but from what i've seen, each lockring is specified to only work with one, not the other.

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think the 11T needs an 11T lockring and the 12T needs a 12T lockring. Not sure how they are different, but from what i've seen, each lockring is specified to only work with one, not the other.

Yes, I agree but that's not the issue here.

The issue is the 12 tooth lock ring is a good deal deeper in the threads than the 11 tooth which cause the 12-27 cassette to never be locked on a shimano 6900 hub.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.