Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Broke my XT chain a while back, asked LBS to change it, and noticed he put on an SRAM 951, which is fine, as it has the powerlink, and seems compatible ...

Seems to me that this chain is making more noise (a 'creak' really) than the XT chain was, and what is particularly strange is that this sound is more exaggerated in cogs 5 and 6 on cassette, but not so bad on the others ...

Just wondering, could this be down to the powerlink?

cheers ... Wally

·
Rub it............
3,833 Posts
I ran the Sram chains for several years, but after reading about how the XTR chain ran smoother and shifted better, I thought I'd give it a try when I needed to replace the chain. After 8 months of use of the XTR chain, I can't tell any difference.

Also, the type of chain lube you use can affect the noise output from the drivetrain.

·
Climbin' Clyde
856 Posts
I ran SRAM chains with my Shimano getups for years, before recently swapping to [mostly] KMC. I don't think there should be a noticeable difference in noise either. Like Frdfandc said - maybe chain lube?

·
Registered
278 Posts
All I can say is I have been a shimano guy for ages. Recently put a sram chain on the bike. All was good for a while. Then shifting and noise issues started to happen. I cleaned the **** out of everything but no good. Put on a new XT chain today and poof bike works like it should again. Go figure. Sorry Sram Shimano has just worked for me.

I like what they are doing in their product lines but if it's not broke don't fix.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts