Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Registered
Joined
·
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anyone who has used it not like it. if so why. believe it or not there are no bike shops near me that will let me test ride a bike with sram(most dont even have any bikes with sram). the one shop that will will only let me ride in their 100x50 foot parking lot.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
8,252 Posts
My cyclocross bike has Rival on it and I've got a couple of hours on it so far...Honestly, I prefer Shimano at this point. I think with a little fine tuning it will be fine, but the shifting is smoother on my 105 level bike and has a much lighter feel to it.

I think the SRAM stuff is fine and works well enough...and mybe the higher end stuff works better...but comparing 105/Ultegra to Rival...I'll take 105 or Ultegra.
 

· Slightly Opinionated
Joined
·
10,402 Posts
Wookiebiker said:
My cyclocross bike has Rival on it and I've got a couple of hours on it so far...Honestly, I prefer Shimano at this point. I think with a little fine tuning it will be fine, but the shifting is smoother on my 105 level bike and has a much lighter feel to it.

I think the SRAM stuff is fine and works well enough...and mybe the higher end stuff works better...but comparing 105/Ultegra to Rival...I'll take 105 or Ultegra.
I think you're right at this point, but I'm really interested in seeing what the '09 Rival will feel like since it gets Zero Loss and some other widgets that I can't recall right now.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
39 Posts
I built up my Cervelo SLC - SL with SRAM RED about 5 weeks ago.

I have been a shop mechanic for over 20 years and have built thousands of bikes. My old bike had Dura Ace 10 which I loved.

I got the Red to "try something new" I absolutely did not enjoy it!

The Red group had alot of drivetrain noise which the Dura Ace never had. I also missed the whole lever moving, I missed alot of shifts.

I put 1000 miles on the Red to give it a chance and the more I rode it the less I liked it.
My der hanger is perfectly aligned and it was just too noisy for me.

I installed The Dura Ace from my other bike and I am happy again, silent, comfortable, feels like my bike. The Red is neat but it's not for me.

I saw some preproduction samples of Dura Ace 7900 at the shop yesterday, I can't wait!

Robb
 

· monkey with flamethrower
Joined
·
821 Posts
3 Pin said:
I built up my Cervelo SLC - SL with SRAM RED about 5 weeks ago.

I have been a shop mechanic for over 20 years and have built thousands of bikes. My old bike had Dura Ace 10 which I loved.

I got the Red to "try something new" I absolutely did not enjoy it!

The Red group had alot of drivetrain noise which the Dura Ace never had. I also missed the whole lever moving, I missed alot of shifts.

I put 1000 miles on the Red to give it a chance and the more I rode it the less I liked it.
My der hanger is perfectly aligned and it was just too noisy for me.

I installed The Dura Ace from my other bike and I am happy again, silent, comfortable, feels like my bike. The Red is neat but it's not for me.

I saw some preproduction samples of Dura Ace 7900 at the shop yesterday, I can't wait!

Robb
I'm in the same boat. I just don't think the SRAM works as well as the Shimano, things just don't shift as fast and the internals feel as if they are made entirely of plastic. That said I love the fact that Sram is making road parts. Competition is good for everyone.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
392 Posts
I alternate between my DA equipped System Six and SRAM Red equpped Super Six.
SRAM
Hoods are more comfortable and natural feeling for me - on long rides, the part between my thumb and pointer finger don't get sore from my gloves like they do on my DA hoods.
The shifts are more mechanical and positive feeling - the clicks are always consistent.
Shift throws are shorter to get a shift done - esp. on upshifts.
Noisier as someone else mentioned - the hollow rear cassette probably amplifies sounds.
No trim on the smaller ring in front - I also have this problem that my LBS can't seem to dial out with my compact crankset - where on the smaller ring, the chain rubs the derraileur when I'm cross chained to the 3 smallest cogs on the rear (I know, I shouldn't be cross chaining but the DA does this fine)
Front derraileur does not seem to shift as well under load (when climbing) compared to the DA that can shift whenever.
Lighter

DA
Quieter, smoother shifts but seems to be less precise than the SRAMs.
Nice to have trim for both large and small ring

Overall, I do like the double tap concept of the SRAM and the lighter weight (yes, I'm a weight weenie too).

Ideally, I'd like to have the smoothness and quietness of the DA but with the doubletap and weight of the SRAM
 

· Batteries not required
Joined
·
1,118 Posts
Rubber Lizard said:
I'm in the same boat. I just don't think the SRAM works as well as the Shimano, things just don't shift as fast and the internals feel as if they are made entirely of plastic. That said I love the fact that Sram is making road parts. Competition is good for everyone.
Disagree! SRAM works just as well, but it is not the same. I used Dura Ace for the past 4 years and there is no doubt it is quieter and shifts smoother. If you like quiet and smooth, then Shimano is better.

I prefer the positive "click" as I bang through the gears with my Force Double Tap shifters. I also think it's more intuitive to shift up and down with one lever. Imagine having a manual transmission car that had one "stick" to upshift and a separate lever to downshift! How goofy would that be?

Shimano is not better than SRAM, it is different from SRAM. Each offers stellar performance with their own unique attributes. You have to try it yourself to make a determination.
 

· Batteries not required
Joined
·
1,118 Posts
Andrea138 said:
if a shop won't let you out of the parking lot, then go elsewhere.
Abso-freakin'-lutely! :shocked:
 

· Batteries not required
Joined
·
1,118 Posts
s2ktaxi said:
SRAM
The shifts are more mechanical and positive feeling - the clicks are always consistent.
Shift throws are shorter to get a shift done - esp. on upshifts.
Exactly! Perfect description. :thumbsup:
 

· Batteries not required
Joined
·
1,118 Posts
s2ktaxi said:
Actually, most of the paddle shifters on the automanuals work that way :)
Yes, you are correct. But paddle shifters are ergonomically correct based on where your hands are on the steering wheel. A traditional, clutch actuated stick-shift manual with the shifter in the center console is what I was referring to. (You knew that! :hand:)

There are racing automatic transmissions for drag race cars that have one stick for each gear. But it's clutchless and they never downshift. 1/4 mile racing only....
 

· Registered
Joined
·
8,000 Posts
BunnV said:
Shimano is not better than SRAM, it is different from SRAM. Each offers stellar performance with their own unique attributes. You have to try it yourself to make a determination.
Overall IMO Shimano is BETTER in quality than SRAM Road or MTB. But SRAM is coming awfully now on both systems.

But I agree both offer something different for consumers to choose styles of shifting. But I did NOT like the DT system of shifting.

But I am a SRAM guy on the MTB side. I love my SRAM X.0 GS and X.0 RD for years now. I switched to SRAM yrs ago on the MTB and will never go back to Shimano.
 

· yup
Joined
·
2,739 Posts
s2ktaxi said:
I alternate between my DA equipped System Six and SRAM Red equpped Super Six.
SRAM
Hoods are more comfortable and natural feeling for me - on long rides, the part between my thumb and pointer finger don't get sore from my gloves like they do on my DA hoods.
The shifts are more mechanical and positive feeling - the clicks are always consistent.
Shift throws are shorter to get a shift done - esp. on upshifts.
Noisier as someone else mentioned - the hollow rear cassette probably amplifies sounds.
No trim on the smaller ring in front - I also have this problem that my LBS can't seem to dial out with my compact crankset - where on the smaller ring, the chain rubs the derraileur when I'm cross chained to the 3 smallest cogs on the rear (I know, I shouldn't be cross chaining but the DA does this fine)
Front derraileur does not seem to shift as well under load (when climbing) compared to the DA that can shift whenever.
Lighter

DA
Quieter, smoother shifts but seems to be less precise than the SRAMs.
Nice to have trim for both large and small ring

Overall, I do like the double tap concept of the SRAM and the lighter weight (yes, I'm a weight weenie too).

Ideally, I'd like to have the smoothness and quietness of the DA but with the doubletap and weight of the SRAM
+1.
I prefer SRAM over DA or Campy now because I really love the double tap- the loud shifts don't bother me. And by the way its just as loud when I put my wheels on with the DA cassette.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
SRAM vs. Dura Ace

I agree with the Cervelo owner about SRAM vs. Dura Ace. His experience as a mechanic makes a strong point. I have owned Dura Ace bikes for decades. I changed my wife's Cervelo RS over to SRAM Red in order to get the lever adjustability to fit her hands better. The longer throw of the DA lever for shifting was also a problem. The SRAM levers work great once she got used to the unidirectional thing. The major problem was the front derailleur. It is very difficult to adjust it to prevent chain rub, and is significantly slower shifting to the big chainring compared to DA. I contacted SRAM and ran the shifting and chainrub problem by them and they mentioned that cable tension is critical to get it work correctly. So, I got the cable way way tight and no improvement in shifting. They had also mentioned that the Force front derailleur has a wider cage. So I tried a SRAM Force front derailleur and it now shifts fine. The Red front derailleur looks cool, is Ti, is lighter and is junk.
The other difference is what everyone is saying - noisy cassette and chain. When we ride together with me on my quiet Dura Ace Cervelo R3SL, the difference is night and day.
I am glad to see SRAM's innovations, and competition to Shimano & Dura Ace will only spur them on to more innovations as well. However, I will keep my Dura Ace components.
 

· Batteries not required
Joined
·
1,118 Posts
akpaddler said:
I agree with the Cervelo owner about SRAM vs. Dura Ace. His experience as a mechanic makes a strong point. I have owned Dura Ace bikes for decades. I changed my wife's Cervelo RS over to SRAM Red in order to get the lever adjustability to fit her hands better. The longer throw of the DA lever for shifting was also a problem. The SRAM levers work great once she got used to the unidirectional thing. The major problem was the front derailleur. It is very difficult to adjust it to prevent chain rub, and is significantly slower shifting to the big chainring compared to DA. I contacted SRAM and ran the shifting and chainrub problem by them and they mentioned that cable tension is critical to get it work correctly. So, I got the cable way way tight and no improvement in shifting. They had also mentioned that the Force front derailleur has a wider cage. So I tried a SRAM Force front derailleur and it now shifts fine. The Red front derailleur looks cool, is Ti, is lighter and is junk.
The other difference is what everyone is saying - noisy cassette and chain. When we ride together with me on my quiet Dura Ace Cervelo R3SL, the difference is night and day.
I am glad to see SRAM's innovations, and competition to Shimano & Dura Ace will only spur them on to more innovations as well. However, I will keep my Dura Ace components.
I've had Dura Ace for years and now ride FORCE. I think your assessment is fair. I have two questions for you:

Did you use an in line adjuster to try to alleviate your chain rub situation? I know RED is supposed to have trim adjustment but I've seen a couple of RED equipped bikes at shops with in-line adjusters installed. I'm considering one for my bike.

What do you think is the reason that the SRAM chain is so noisy? I wonder if it is caused by the locking link they use?
 
1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top