Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was hoping you all could help me with something. I recently purchased a used bike with sram force. I've been having trouble with the front derailleur not wanting to shift into the big chainring.

Now, i've been fiddling with the tension and screws and such, but i've realized something. i don't really know how the shifters should feel.

I think i'm going to have a hard time articulating this, but please stay with me. Having never ridden with sram before it took some getting used to. To shift into the bigger chainring, i push the left all the way in and to downshift i push the lever in two clicks and it drops into the small ring.

So, what is the third click for? Before i was adjusting the derailleur, the lever would click quickly once (much like upshifting on the rear) and then two clicks would drop it back down to the small ring. After the adjustments, it seems like the one click comes only when the chain is in the big ring.

So how should the shifter actually shift in relation to pushes on the levers? I read about trim adjustment on the front ring, but don't know if it should trim in the big ring or small ring.

Again, i hope this all makes sense, but i'm having trouble understanding it all myself.

thanks.

·
godless
77 Posts
That 'third click' as you call it is trim adjustment for the FD cage. It allows you to use the larger cogs in the rear while riding with the large ring in front. That is, without rubbing the cage while doing so.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks. That is what i wasn't sure of. I found a video that said it was for using the whole cog range while in the small ring in the front.

So it's really for trimming the big ring. That helps.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
that makes sense.

So, this will sound like another dumb and inarticulate question, but when i'm shifting, does the progression go that you put the chain into the big ring and then use the trim if you want to remain in the big ring but use the larger cogs in the rear?

·
Registered
25 Posts
dfeitel said:
that makes sense.

So, this will sound like another dumb and inarticulate question, but when i'm shifting, does the progression go that you put the chain into the big ring and then use the trim if you want to remain in the big ring but use the larger cogs in the rear?
Yeah if the chain rubs while in the big chainring & big cog, then use the trim to eliminate the rub.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
dgasper said:
That 'third click' as you call it is trim adjustment for the FD cage. It allows you to use the larger cogs in the rear while riding with the large ring in front. That is, without rubbing the cage while doing so.
+1 What he said. I think it's a pretty cool idea once you get used to it.

·
Get me to In&Out
4,775 Posts
I just worked on a bike with a Force front derailleur. The problem I found with that bike was it is very temperamental with height above the chainring. The closer you can get to the chainwheel, the better I found it shifted.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hello

Dont mean to tread jack but sounds like the FD issue was resolved. I kinda have a related issue, but more for the right shifter and PRE-installation:

Recently bought some sram shifters (almost entire Rival group). Had a question on what the shifters "feel" like straight out of the box. I mean, absent any cable tension, should the shift levers still have a very distinct "click" for both the up and down shift movements (talking about the right shift lever). I get a solid click when pressing the lever all the way in but nothing really clicks when trying to engage the short "tap". Again this is pre-installation and want to be sure the lever is not defective...Also, how much lever travel should there be to shift both directions. Down shifting (lower gear) seems like the lever is gonna break?!?

Also, instructions indicate to have the shift lever "engaged" where the RD would be on the highest gear (smallest cog)...how do I know what "gear" the shifter is in (again, mostly for the right shifter)? Kinda relates back to my first question, if I do NOT get feed back (clicks) on the short shifts (shifting to smallest cog) how do I know what "gear position" the shifter is in prior to installation!!

Please keep in mind I just woke up from a 20 year coma (kidding about the coma) and can relate to the old downtube SIS index system, which gave both audible and visual (lever position) ques...

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
851 Posts
Yeah, with no tension on the cable it is tough to feel the clicks -- but they are there. If you have a cable installed you can put a bit of tension on it with one hand and use the other hand to hold the shifter and click the lever. You should be able to feel and hear the clicks as well as feel the cable move in your other hand. The amount of travel to upshift on the right lever is <i>very</i> short.

For downshifting, you have to remember that if you push the lever all the way you will actually shift three gears. To get all 3 you definitely have to push the lever pretty far, but for just one it's not nearly so much.

Asad

·
Registered
17 Posts
asad137 said:
Yeah, with no tension on the cable it is tough to feel the clicks -- but they are there. If you have a cable installed you can put a bit of tension on it with one hand and use the other hand to hold the shifter and click the lever. You should be able to feel and hear the clicks as well as feel the cable move in your other hand. The amount of travel to upshift on the right lever is <i>very</i> short.

For downshifting, you have to remember that if you push the lever all the way you will actually shift three gears. To get all 3 you definitely have to push the lever pretty far, but for just one it's not nearly so much.

Asad
Thanks you! that is very reassuring and can't wait to install them now!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts