Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5,347 Posts
I'd like to have 12sp cassettes and double front chain rings. Single front chain ring, no. With only 12 gears there's either not enough range or the gaps between some of the ratios are too wide.

But since I do a lot of extreme climbing rides/races I need a wider range of gearing than many road riders. I could use a 50/34 and 11-32 for some events, though a 34x28 is plenty for most of the riding I do. Even with the 11-28, a 12 cog cassette could provide the 16t to fill in the gap between the 15t and 17t.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
With a 32T chainring I would prefer a to stay with the 42T largest cog and have closer spacing around the middle. I cannot imagine needing a 32:50 ratio in too many situations.

Would love to see this on a road bike however. With a 50T chainring it would be perfect!

·
What the what???
12,922 Posts
For the price of those options, I'll just keep my 10sp Tiagra 12-30 cassette in back and a 38 ring up front for the commuter.

·
Registered
8,791 Posts
What'd they do, take the two big chainrings off of a triple, put them on the inside of a ten speed cassette, and just leave the granny up front on the crankset?

No thanks.

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
I kind of understand it. I kind of like the idea of a 1x drivetrain .. for a mountain bike or CX bike. Maybe road bike in some areas that have the terrain for it?

But I have yet to actually try one myself

So I am not going to piss all over something I have not tried, like so many trolling grumps on here

·
Registered
649 Posts
I did a single speed upgrade on my Mtn bike a few years ago (1x10) and yes it was a game changer. But not for performance wise, but in the quality of the "ride". In short there was no rattling or slapping of chain on metal, it just really made the bike so quiet. So for that I can say it was a huge difference.
But where are the issues on the road that this thing solves??? I can't see its attraction. Is it another wheel standard I have to buy into??? How much weight can it possibly be shaving?

Naw I'll pass on this like I've passed on electronic shifting and anything over ten speeds.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Might be great in some applications. I think I'd rather have the two rings up front and and 11-28 or 11-32 cassette for the hills I have to ride here in Maine. Maybe when I give up and head to flat terrain like coastal Florida? Might only need a fixie there! Talk about simplicity and cost savings!!

Oh, that reminds me! I'll probably be on the Suncoast and upper Tampa Bay Trail next month trying my best not to melt and wasting at least 19 gear choices. Hot workouts. Not looking forward to that.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
I'd like to have 12sp cassettes and double front chain rings. Single front chain ring, no. With only 12 gears there's either not enough range or the gaps between some of the ratios are too wide.

But since I do a lot of extreme climbing rides/races I need a wider range of gearing than many road riders. I could use a 50/34 and 11-32 for some events, though a 34x28 is plenty for most of the riding I do. Even with the 11-28, a 12 cog cassette could provide the 16t to fill in the gap between the 15t and 17t.
53-39-28 x 12-13-14-15-16-17-18-19-21-23 10 cogs has the same range as 50-34x11-32 but no 15 17 or even 17 19 gap.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,426 Posts
I'm sure that they'll come out with a 12 speed road group that you will again have to buy new wheels for (a 10 tooth cog won't fit on a standard freehub)..
I wonder if they will sell a 10-21 cassette to go with your 54/44 crank.

·
Registered
8,791 Posts
I'm sure that they'll come out with a 12 speed road group that you will again have to buy new wheels for (a 10 tooth cog won't fit on a standard freehub)..
I wonder if they will sell a 10-21 cassette to go with your 54/44 crank.
Shux, with carbon fiber technology a, I guess it would be called, reverse parabolic wheel should be able to be built with the ability to run a freehub body at least to the center of the hub. That would have to be good for 16 cogs or maybe more.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Even in the mtb world, there is some debate if 1x is the ideal solution for everybody. There is greater mechanical and functional simplicity. But there has been a small loss of range and there are some riders that value the ability to make a fast, large ratio change by shifting the front derailleur. I admit I sometimes miss that ability but I'm sold on the other benefits and I prefer my 1x drivetrain to my others. The jumps between gears are not an issue.

For cyclocross, when things get nasty I sometimes experience a delay with front shifts that is annoying, super annoying sometimes. I also find it annoying when a course can be done in the 46 everywhere except one or two spots and I have to shift the front. I love it when I can just stay in the 46. I have a new cross bike on it's way that is 1x using a Force1 long cage derailleur and a 10x42 cassette. I'm looking forward to the 1x simplicity and actually having more range than 46/34 x 11/28. I'll be using a 42 front ring that will yield almost identical gear inches as a 46x11 and basically two lower "bail out" gears when riding super steep fire roads and singletrack exploring. We'll see if the jumps between gears are a problem, especially when serving road rain-bike duty.

I currently have one road bike and it is not ridden in the rain (my cross bike with road wheels serves that purpose) and the front shifting is always crisp and efficient. I could see the larger 1x jumps between gears being a cadence issue for road riding. I do not foresee 1x for my road bike needs anytime soon.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,426 Posts
I'm waiting for 135mm rear spacing for road bikes.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts