Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tried to use the search function, but couldn't find my answer. Question: can I use the etap with my shimano chains, to do I need to change the cassette, chain and chains over to SRAM?

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
Tried to use the search function, but couldn't find my answer. Question: can I use the etap with my shimano chains, to do I need to change the cassette, chain and chains over to SRAM?

Thanks.
Yes you can use whatever chain you want. No you don't need to change everything over to SRAM.

·
Crank Addict
1,943 Posts
Yes you can use whatever chain you want. No you don't need to change everything over to SRAM.
right.... that being said, it seems silly to me to swap on a new groupies and then use an old dirty chain that's been run-in with a different set of rings and cassette. Chains really ain't that expensive and you're putting on at least $1200 worth of other components (at least) so I'd say just spend the $50-$80 and get a new chain.

·
Registered
9,658 Posts
right.... that being said, it seems silly to me to swap on a new groupies and then use an old dirty chain that's been run-in with a different set of rings and cassette. Chains really ain't that expensive and you're putting on at least $1200 worth of other components (at least) so I'd say just spend the $50-$80 and get a new chain.
that would make sense if new chains didn't become used chains once you use them and every time you need a new chain in the future you'd be doing it anyway unless you get new rings and cassette every time a chain wears out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts