Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking into upgrading my current Shimano 9 speed DA groupo to SRAM Etap. I am pretty sure I am OK using my current Campy 10sp crank and Mavic hubs. My question is whether my current DA 7700 brake calipers will work. Does anyone have any experience or know what the specific differences are between my caliper and the SRAM Red that are spec'd to use with Etap?
Thanks!

·
Forever a Student
4,963 Posts
Yes, in fact those would be strongly preferred to the new Shimano brakes.

Sram uses the old school system and pull ratio. Shimano has changed it quite a bit. New Sram and Shimano stuff are not compatible but old Shimano is compatible with any Sram.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks MM for the reply...From the research I have done, I was rather thinking the same, but just wasn't able to see it spelled out. That is awesome-the upgrade parts is all I need. What a change that'll be from old 9 speed to Etap 11.
Cheers!

·
Forever a Student
4,963 Posts
The only negative I've heard about etap is that the rear shifting can be a bit sluggish/slow. If you want lightning fast gear changes, it's not going to happen, it has it's own pace. Some people don't mind it, some do, I would think most don't really mind it. Otherwise it seems to be doing quite well and I bet you'll love it.

In a day where not much is compatible between old and new systems, you've lucked out pretty well and it should work great. Let us know how it goes once you have some time into it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts